Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my mac won't start up after trying to replace permissions plist file

For no reason that I could figure out, my iMac running Yosemite would not let me log in as an administer (I am the only user on the machine). The dialog box got stuck on "Authenticating..." So I tried to delete the ~/Library/Permissions/...plist file. Now I am unable to restart my computer even in "Safe" mode.

Any suggestions about how I might be able to get my computer to start up again?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Dec 27, 2015 8:46 AM

5 replies

Dec 27, 2015 8:55 AM in response to sidpink

There isn't any ~/Library/Permissions, I don't know what you deleted. Are you sure you were in ~/Library or /Library or /System/Library? Also how do you accomplish that without being logged in as admin?

If you have a recent clone or TimeMachine backup you can restore from that. If not, use Internet Recovery by holdingdown Command+Option+R keysbut you will lose any data you have.

Dec 27, 2015 12:21 PM in response to macjack

to macjack...

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly which file I tried to move. I don't have the reference any longer.

I will give your suggestion a try as a last resort. I do have a Time Machine backup but it seems like getting permissions to access the files are a bit tricky as I'm working from a newer computer w/ the Time Machine external drive attached.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how things turn out by posting back here.

Dec 27, 2015 8:27 PM in response to sidpink

Well, here's the update. I tried using the Micromat TechTool Protogo start up disk that I created on a USB drive to use Disk Utility and TechTool to fix the issue. Both applications said that the catalog files and etc. seemed fine. But still the hard disk didn't boot up.

So I reformatted the start up hard disk from a Time Machine archive, and now I'm back up and running. Thank goodness for that Time Machine back up!

Thanks again, macjack and ryan for trying to offer a solution. I really appreciate it.

my mac won't start up after trying to replace permissions plist file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.