Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone successful with: Upgrading to Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro 17" late 2011 running El Capitan and Bootcamp v6

Hi everybody,

I have a MacBook Pro 17" late 2011 with El Capital OS. (just upgraded to El Capitan a couple of days ago)

Now I want to upgrade my Windows partition from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

According to the Windows 10 Upgrade advisor application the only incompatibility I have is my Bluetooth (Apple Broadcom Bluetooth) and it is advising me to contact/check with Apple/Bootcamp.

So I did. I checked with the Apple Bootcamp pages and I became very worried.

Apparently I can't upgrade to Windows 10 because Bootcamp (Apple) does not support my hardware (late 2011). 😟

I bought my computer in 2012, i.e. three years ago... it is painful to read this news.

My options are:

1) Not to upgrade to Windows 10 on my Windows partition which is not desirable for me on the long run because I have dependent software which I need to run on a Windows 8/10 OS system.

2) Upgrade despite Apple's (Bootcamp) warnings and fix the problems (band aid approach)

3) Buy another partitioning / dual boot solution like Parallels

Has any one tried an upgrade successfully based on a hardware configuration *NOT* listed in the Apple/Bootcamp support list?

Any recipes out there?

Thank you in advance

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 4:10 AM

1 reply

Jan 21, 2016 5:44 PM in response to gabriel1970

Hello:

First to all, I am an architect in Chile and a Mac User since 1998. I hate Windows because I know it. But for business needs I need to run from my MBP 17 early 2011.

Well, how I do this?

First to all I DO NOT USE BOOTCAMP. The only think I do was download the BootCamp drivers for my Mac: Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621.

After that, I download a free Windows 10 ISO installer from Microsoft. Create a DVD installer and bought an USB 2/3 HD drive 1TB and ready. Well, not at all: Windows cannot be installed in a USB drive. NOT TRUE. Download a thirty party software: WintoUSB: http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/

But the only nasty thing, YOU NEED A PC. Install WintoUSB and put the DVD on it

Preparation: You need make two partitions in the USB disk, The first, with 300 Gb in FAT32 ( for the EFI BOOT ) and the second for NTFS ( for W10 ).

Then run WintoUSB and follows the instructions. AND VOILA!!!

After you have the USB drive ready, shut down your Mac. Start Up pressing Command + Option + P + R. That reset the PRAM, will restart again and maintain OPTION PRESED.

Will appear a screen with your Mac Drive. Then ATTACH THE USB DRIVE. Will appear a orange drive named EFI BOOT. Click on it and ENTER.

If all works fine you will see a Black screen with the Windows Logo. And follow any thing Windows ask.

Thats all.

Regards

Anyone successful with: Upgrading to Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro 17" late 2011 running El Capitan and Bootcamp v6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.