Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't load pages after sleep in current window

Please take note : I’m French so what you’ll read isn’t perfect. Thank you.

Hi everyone, it's been so long I tried to solve my issue concerning Safari.

Let me explain what happens : when I wake up my Mac, some website will not load, particularly Youtube, Facebook and Google until I

- Close the Safari window and open a new one

- Wait at least one or two minute

- Spam the refresh shortcut until a "page can't load" error comes up.

I tried everything explained in this or other forums and doing those things :

- Reinstall the OS (but keeping my data)

- Restore with a Time Capsule

- Open the terminal and type those commands :

- Fix permissions and owner

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

- Reset Safari

mv ~/Library/Safari ~/Desktop/Safari-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`; rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/Apple\ -\ Safari\ -\ Safari\ Extensions\ Gallery; rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari; rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari; rm -Rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess; rm -Rf ~/Library/Cookies/Cookies.binarycookies; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/Apple\ -\ Safari\ -\ Safari\ Extensions\ Gallery; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebFoundation.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginHost.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.WebKit.PluginProcess.plist; rm -Rf ~/Library/PubSub/Database; rm -Rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.Safari.savedState

- Fix permissions with the system built-in tool

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

- Boot in safe mode

- Go into recovery mode and reset something into the « resetpassword » window

- Delete everything apple let me with the GUI (cookies, cache etc)

- Mess up with network settings but obviously it’s fine because other programs have no problem eg. Chrome, Firefox, Mail, Push notifications…

- Uninstall all safari extensions

- Unplug my micro sd card and restart (which is constantly plugged into my mac)

I’m so mad at my computer because I payed 1.5k for a computer which is not capable of doing the most easy task for a modern computer. Even a 50€ computer has embedded software than can handle a resume from sleep without restarting the entire software… Imagine if you had to do that on your iPhone, you'll end up getting a refund within a week or less because it’s not normal in 2015 to have this kind of problem. Hopefully I’ve got no problem with safari on my 6S and I do not plan to switch my browser because Safari is part of the Apple ecosystem and have perfect sync and battery management.

So I need to get this problem fixed and I really need your help because many people had this problem on the internet but NEVER saw someone who explained how he got is problem fixed. My Mac runs the latest software which is 11.2 as of today.

Here is a video of the problem :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjfAlkKEVsc

And here are examples of the threads I’ve found over the internet facing the same problem :

Safari does not work after sleep mode | Apple Support Communities

Safari doesn´t load pages after wake up

Safari not loading page after wake

Facebook doesn't "work" after waking from sleep - MacNN Forums

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 5:43 AM

16 replies

Dec 28, 2015 10:00 AM in response to iMarco27

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Dec 28, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you all for answering.

@Eric Root I've just finished all the steps mentioned, erasing everything Safari related in my computer. Everything (delete every file that contains "Safari" in its name). And I've ran again the command that removes a lot of Safari files. I've reimported my bookmarks with the Safari component and not by copying back my bookmarks.plist file. So now I'm testing if there is an improvement.

@Lynda Hargrove Safari can't be "reinstalled", it's part of the OS.

@Linc Davis Please check my first post, the problem appears while in Normal, Guest or Safe mode. Proof in the video.

Dec 28, 2015 10:55 AM in response to iMarco27

Please start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Dec 28, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

Something wrong with my router ? How my router can prevent my computer from reloading a page in a previously opened Safari window and allow it to load if I close the window and open a new one ?

I also encountered this problem with completely different networks, so it's definitely software related. This issue only appears on my Mac, other devices are fine. And like I said, I'm not the only one to face that...

Dec 28, 2015 3:24 PM in response to Linc Davis

I've got news. I've created a network with my 4G hotspot and it worked fine but switching to my home router made active tabs dead but if I close the windows and open them again, no problem.

With Chrome and Firefox no issue. My router is particular, it has 1 SSID for two networks, one 2.4GHz and another one 5GHz. It seems like Safari doesn't like that. But why ?

I haven't waited for long because I've got stuff to do and the sleep time was short because the Mac stayed connected to the hotspot which is strange for a sleep state...

Apr 6, 2016 3:01 AM in response to iMarco27

Hi from the other side of the Channel 😉

This isn't a problem with your router; I have the exact same issue on my Macbook, and I'm constantly moving around to different sites because I work in IT (and therefore using many different models of router). It's a very irritating issue which, like yourself, I haven't been able to resolve.

It isn't a huge issue, granted. Closing Safari down and performing a raindance for approximately two minutes (or howling at a blue moon when the wind blows west) before trying again seems to work - but huge or not, it's a pain in the buttocks.

Safari doesn't load pages after sleep in current window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.