Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XServe 2* 3.0GHz Intel 5400 QUAD CORE

Hi ,

I am looking at getting a XServe 2* 3.0GHz Intel 5400 QUAD CORE for a project

and have the disks for 10.7.5 from for my other server. Can I install this software agin on the new machine

and will i be able to upgrade it to what ? version of OS X ?

Thanks

Martin

Xserve, OS X Server

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2015 4:47 AM

This would the early 2008 model which originally came with OS X Server 10.5.1 unlimited version.

You can install 10.7 Server but that would be the furthest it could go in terms of what Apple officially supports. Some enterprising folks have installed later versions of OS X using unsupported methods such as installing a later OS on hardware that supports it and then cloning that installation to a drive you later install on the XServe. However YMMV and you'd be on your own anyway.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2015 4:47 AM in response to upctry2

This would the early 2008 model which originally came with OS X Server 10.5.1 unlimited version.

You can install 10.7 Server but that would be the furthest it could go in terms of what Apple officially supports. Some enterprising folks have installed later versions of OS X using unsupported methods such as installing a later OS on hardware that supports it and then cloning that installation to a drive you later install on the XServe. However YMMV and you'd be on your own anyway.

Dec 31, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Antonio Rocco

Thanks for the answer Antonio, Happy New Year.

Ok now I have my server and trying to get it up and running. There is no OS X install on the server. When I turn it on the power light blinks that means it's in sleep mode and the blue army all solid blink all at once and it does not respond to a keyboard or mouse or video. I have read the online starting guide for xserve

but nothing seem to be working. Suggestion would be a great help.

Thanks

Martin

Dec 31, 2015 3:34 PM in response to upctry2

Could be the battery. Check the docs — Apple had a bunch of DIY manuals for Xserve a while back, including diagnostics and troubleshooting. If you scroll through the ~150 Xserve docs posted there, you should find a bunch of DIY repair and maintenance manuals. (At one point, there was a roll-up of all the DIY documents into one big manual, which was handy — I don't know if that's still available.)

Jan 1, 2016 2:12 PM in response to upctry2

ok Ive spent a good part of the day looking for the same sinerio as to mine. But have not had any luck finding a fix for it.

I changed the battery but it still the same. boot power button blinks and the system activity lights blink and thats it and the fan races.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

martin

Jan 4, 2016 9:40 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi,

Making some progress. I found that the memory was in the wrong slots. Was able to get video and and keyboard.

But am still getting a system activity light blinking. Was about to boot to cd used disk utility to reformat drive.

Started the install of 10.6 all going well until it finishes install and then I get a bunch of scrolling text and then the

welcome screen comes up and in the lower left corner on the welcome screen the activity circle goes round and round and does not stop

The continue button does not highlight in blue. That's as far as i get.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Martin

Jan 8, 2016 2:41 AM in response to upctry2

If you don't have two PSUs fitted the system identifier light will flash constantly which - as far as I'm aware/ in my experience - is by design. It's OK to run an XServe with one PSU as long as you've connected it (ideally) to a UPS. Two PSUs is recommended with each connected to different UPS (or if necessary mains) supplies. If you do have two PSUs fitted then there's something else going on you're not aware of? Seeing as the XServe seems to be installing and working properly it's unlikely to be something else and more likely to be the single PSU rather than than the recommended two.

Hope this helps?

Jan 11, 2016 2:33 PM in response to upctry2

upctry2 wrote:

Thanks for the great info, but my question is if my xserve is on a batterie backup do I need

2 power supplies? There cheep enough.

That's your call.

Dual power supplies means you have dual power connections, which means better protection against either a less-interruptable power supply (LIPS — they're never uninterruptible) failure or swap or disconnection, or the failure of a power supply.

Anecdata: I've had more LIPS-related failures than PS-related failures. In the boxes I've dealt with over the years, the LIPS itself has been a source of more than a few outages.

Jan 12, 2016 3:16 PM in response to MrHoffman

Ok, working with the server. My intention with this server is to use 1 drive as a media server for music and videos. The second drive as a clients drive that I can have clients drop artwork onto as I print large prints for some local artist. Some files are 400+mb in size and I would like to offer them this service.

Now when I pull up finder I see my other xserve {photo} and the drives but I now see what looks like 2 of the same HomeServer and a xserve which both are the same serve. How do I get rid of the second server and only have HomeServer? Sorry for all the questions but I'm new at working on my own xserve.

Thanks for all the help. If I need to reinstall the OS that's fine there is another on that drive and I want it to be right.

Thanks

Martin

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

XServe 2* 3.0GHz Intel 5400 QUAD CORE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.