Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 Battery Replacement; Why must I pay to replace my button first?

Hello, community of Apple!

About a month of two ago, I found out about the Apple iPhone 5 battery replacement plan. I entered my serial number and was happy to find out I was eligible for this free replacement.

So, naturally, I contacted support. After about three weeks of confusion and miscommunication, Apple finally shipped a box to me. Then, when I packed up my iPhone, and shipped it back to them, I waited about 3 more days. When they sent me an e-mail back, I was very dishearted to hear that I had to pay 350 CAD to replace the button on the front of my iPhone. (Not the button that also offers a free replacement program).

Now, I can understand Apple wanting to make my iPhone 'like-new', and such. But I honestly don't believe that the button is required to be replaced in order to replace my battery. Does that sound right to you? I'm not complaining to the community for the sake of complaining, I'm honestly wondering if something might have been misunderstood or miscommunicated during the process.

I even still have the original button in my drawer. I kept it in case they needed it to put it back on.

I would even be fine with paying a little bit for the button to be replaced. But... 350 dollars seems a bit steep for a simple button that they glue on, you know?

Please, anyone who has any information regarding whether or not this is a misunderstanding, reply ASAP. And I thank you all in advance.

James / Traidable

iPhone 5 Customer

Canada

-Edit-

So, after looking a bit on the Apple website, I believe I was charged for an 'out-of-warranty' repair fee. As well as the battery fee, even though the battery was suppose to be completely free. As you can see here, iPhone 5 charges a minimum of $269 and then $79 more if it's for the battery:

User uploaded file

So... They charged me for the button + battery service. I just wish they could replace the battery without replacing the button. I'm sure it's possible.

Thanks again for any information!

Message was edited by: Traidable

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2, Bought December 2012

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 9:09 AM

11 replies

Dec 28, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Traidable

The price for this service in Canada is CAD 350 for an Out-of-Warranty Service, you copied the price for the USA.

Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for out-of-warranty (OOW) service, Apple will service your iPhone for the out-of-warranty service fee listed below.

Model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus $429
iPhone 6, iPhone 6s $379
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c,
iPhone 5
$349
iPhone 4s $259
iPhone 4 $199

A $10.77 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service through Apple that requires shipping. All fees are in Canadian dollars and exclude applicable taxes. iPhone out-of-warranty service may also be available through an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Pricing may vary.

copied from: Service Answer Center - iPhone /Canada

Dec 28, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Ingo2711

Thank you. I missed that.

Anyway, my question remains. Is this some sort of misunderstanding? I don't believe I should require my button to be replaced in order to get my free battery. It clearly states only things that are in the way of the battery will be replaced. Is the front button really in the way?

Thanks,

James / Traidable

iPhone 5 Customer

Canada

Dec 28, 2015 12:17 PM in response to Traidable

From the Apple Battery Replacement website: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Note: If your iPhone 5 has any damage such as a cracked screen which impairs the replacement of the battery, that issue will need to be resolved prior to the battery replacement. In some cases, there may be a cost associated with the repair.

This means the device has to be taken care of first before the battery replacement. This way, they can still warranty the device with the battery replacement, since they can verify the status of the device. As indicated, you may be a cost, and in your case, there was.

Dec 28, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Ingo2711

Well, see, I sent the phone for the repairs, but when they sent me the e-mail while they had it in their possession, it explained that I needed to pay $350 CAD to replace the button. So, obviously not having that much cash to just throw around, they sent it back. Still no button, still the same malfunctioned battery.

However, I'm starting to think they misunderstood what service I needed. I feel like they thought I wanted to replace the button, not the battery. I could care less about the button. I have the screen-options thingy that I can use instead, easy as that. I just want to be able to use my phone for more than 30 minutes before the battery dies.

James / Traidable

iPhone 5 Customer

Canada

Dec 28, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Traidable

Getting the home button replaced should only be done by Apple, not a 3rd party repair shop. In case something goes wrong and the Touch ID function does not work anymore, the phone can't be used anymore, because Apple will not service or replace devices that have been opened by a 3rd party service or the user.

Same goes for battery replacement, if something goes wrong, you are on your own.

Dec 28, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Traidable

Traidable wrote:

As it clearly states that they only need to repair devices if it gets in the way of the battery.

Absolutely no idea where you got that from at all. Your device is physically damaged, indicating accident or abuse. The warranty, and the ability to get it serviced are void. your only option is an out of warranty replacement. Take it or leave it.

If that's upsetting to you you're welcome to go to a 3rd party to get the battery replaced. Doing so will forfeit all rights to service or support from Apple for that device, including the option of the heavily discounted out of warranty replacement phone you were already offered.

iPhone 5 Battery Replacement; Why must I pay to replace my button first?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.