Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows on Mac via Boot Camp: Apple keyboard not working in Windows 10

I installed Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro. When I type the @ sign, I get the " sign instead. It seems to be an issue with the keyboard. I tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers in Boot Camp but it still doesn't work. Anyone can help?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 9:39 AM

14 replies

Dec 28, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Loner T

I have reset the NVRAM on the Mac as per your suggestion. I then rebooted the computer and selected Windows at startup. I still get the issue.

The next thing you are suggesting involves removing the battery. I am wondering if I communicated the issue clearly enough:

I have installed Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro (mid 2012, non retina). The keyboard works perfectly fine when I am using the Mac OS, i.e when I type shift+2, I get the sign @ (which is correct). However, when I am using the Windows OS, when I type shift+2, I get the " sign. So the problem is when I use Windows, not Mac.

Previous versions of Windows used to have a sort of keyboard indicator (I believe on the taskbar, near the date and time) and one could just change the keyboard from English US to English UK. I think that would have sold the issue here but I don't know how to adjust the keyboard settings in Windows 10. I went to Keyboard settings to check and it is currently set as English UK, which is correct. I don't even have any other Keyboard/Language (apart from English UK) installed.

Does it make sense? Is it clearer?

Dec 28, 2015 2:32 PM in response to kourousafama

Please do not remove the battery. It is unnecessary and not required. The two links I posted suggest a battery removal, only if the battery can be removed on older Macs. Newer Macs with built-in batteries do not need it. The SMC and NVRAM resets can be done using the Mac as is.

Your issue is related keyboard mappings and language settings. Please see Use your Apple Keyboard in Windows with Boot Camp - Apple Support .

If both OS X and Windows have the same language, and the OS X side provides the correct character, try using the Windows on-screen keyboard and check which key generates the "@" character. It should help isolate the issue.

Which keyboard installer did you use to install the driver? If it came from Bootcamp drivers package, can you post the version of BC drivers? Here is an example from the 5.0.5033 version.

<ProductManufacturer>Apple Inc.</ProductManufacturer>

<ProductVersion>5.0.5033</ProductVersion>

<ProductCode>{FA2B2C2A-EA41-495A-9308-60726125D562}</ProductCode>

Dec 28, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Loner T

Ok.

When I launched the on-screen keyboard on Windows, I can see that it is different from the keyboard layout on the actual MacBook. To be specific, above the number 2 key, I can see the " sign on the on-screen keyboard on Windows, when I should be seeing the @ sign. that means whenever I press shift+2, I get the " sign in Windows instead of the @ sign. So the on-screen keyboard in Windows is consistent with the issue I mentioned.

It came from the Boot Camp drivers package. I used the latest version of Boot Camp which I downloaded it today. I think it is version 6.0.6201.0.

Dec 28, 2015 4:19 PM in response to Loner T

I have checked the Microsoft link. As it is suggested in the links, I tried reinstalling the support software drivers. No luck.

I then also installed the keyboard layout creator (not without hassle as I had to install .NET framework version 2, when I had already version 4 installed but installation of keyboard layout creator wouldn't complete without that).

Not sure how to do from there and how to use this tool. I have loaded the existing layout as per the post but then what do I need to do?

I am not sure why this is so complicated? It used to work fine with Windows 7 on the Mac.

Dec 29, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Loner T

I actually found the solution:

Settings/Time and Language/Region and Language/Related Settings/Additional date time and regional settings/Language/Option/Add input method/ and then scroll to find United Kingdom (Apple) then Add.

After adding this new input method I was able to select switch from United Kingdom to United Kingdom (Apple) by clicking the link on the taskbar.w

Now it's all sorted out.

Thanks for your quick response and help in any case.

Windows on Mac via Boot Camp: Apple keyboard not working in Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.