Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is best printer for new El Capitan?

After installing the new OS X El Capitan, my printer (which I love!) is not compatible.

Does anyone know the best printer to use with this new OS?

iMac, Operating system X - el capitan

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 12:35 PM

That is a very broad question without knowing what your needs and desires are. There are many printers that work fine with El Capitan. If you would give a few details on what you are looking for such as do you print a lot, often, do you need color, multi functions, is price a consideration, etc., then others can give more specific advise to your needs.

Also, did you check the website of your printer to see if they have any upgrades for El Capitan or if they are planing to release drivers for it? Did you consider using generic drivers for your old printer?

For me, I use an HP multi function B&W laser printer. HP seems to keep up to date on compatibility better that a lot of other brands. I gave up on ink jets due to high cost of ink cartridges and cartridges drying up from low use.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Peggy1922

That is a very broad question without knowing what your needs and desires are. There are many printers that work fine with El Capitan. If you would give a few details on what you are looking for such as do you print a lot, often, do you need color, multi functions, is price a consideration, etc., then others can give more specific advise to your needs.

Also, did you check the website of your printer to see if they have any upgrades for El Capitan or if they are planing to release drivers for it? Did you consider using generic drivers for your old printer?

For me, I use an HP multi function B&W laser printer. HP seems to keep up to date on compatibility better that a lot of other brands. I gave up on ink jets due to high cost of ink cartridges and cartridges drying up from low use.

Dec 28, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Thank you for your reply.

I run a small business from home. I have always used an HP Officejet 4620 (all in one) and after upgrading my OS, it now says it is not compatible and I am disappointed, of course.

I do lots of printing, faxing, scanning.

I spoke with a tech from HP and was told that they are recommending the HP Envy series for El Capitan.

Will check again with HP to see if there is an upgrade for the 4620. I thought she said no, but I could be mistaken. Price, is of course, a consideration. But for peace of mind and reliability, I will always consider higher priced printer.

One thing she did tell me is that HP is scrambling to keep up with the El Capitan system.

Thanks again!

Dec 28, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Peggy1922

Yes, as stedman1 said, it does seem compatible with El Capitan. But their website is a bit confusing on the OS it works with. Latest update is 12.34 on Dec 6, 2015.

I did notice there is a built in driver in El Capitan for the 4620 series Fax. Maybe that is all you need. At least the Fax should work. I've found that choosing software that is close with another printer works also for many occasions.

I would try downloading the latest software and re add the printer in to see if you can get it to work.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-4620-e-All-in-One-P rinter-series/5101229/model/5101234

Dec 28, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Wow.. thanks to both Glenn and Stedman!

I went to the HP site that Stedman recommended and plowed through all the info. My printer IS still compatible with my computer!

I had to go into MAC (printer) preferences while following prompts on a video on the HP site.

Also, Glenn, you are correct on the drive for the HP FAX. So I also added that into the system! (can't hurt, right?)

All is working perfectly now. Whew!

Coincidentally, the HP tech called me about ½ hour ago, wanting to see if I would do a survey for her help last night. I told her yes and then told her that I had fixed it on my own, with the help of Apple Support board. Now, ,she was sharing my screen last night and doing all sorts of stuff. That is when she recommended the ENVY. So, also the reason she called today was to see if I wanted to order the ENVY plus free this & that. When she learned I (we) had solved this problem, she was noticeably more demure. haha.

Anyway, thanks to you both. I am now settled back with my favorite printer and new OS X.

Happy New Year!

Dec 28, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Peggy1922

Glad that worked out for you.

I've had my printer for a long time. Even in times when HP didn't have updated drivers for my model, I managed to use either Gutenprint drivers or another HP printer's driver that was a similar printer to mine and that worked just fine. HP has always been good about keeping up to date with the printer drivers at least to a point that they would work.

You're Welcome & Happy New Year to you also

Jul 12, 2016 6:42 AM in response to Peggy1922

I have been using a HP 110a ink jet (print fax scan) for several years and when I switched from PC to a late 2015 mac book pro I had no problems what so ever.

what is best printer for new El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.