Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete an iChat (Messages) account

Just upgraded to El Capitan. Jabber account for FB (user.id@chat.facebook.com) won't let me log in, so I tried to delete and set up a new account. First, it said I needed to log out, which I did. Even when I click on the "-" (minus) nothing happens. Suggestions? Thank you.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 2:08 PM

10 replies

Jan 2, 2016 9:11 AM in response to CVG

Hi,

If the same Jabber account appears in System Preferences > Internet Accounts deselect the Messages option there.

If that does not help open the Keychain Access app in Applications/Utilities and delete anything you can find regarding that Jabber account particularly the ones that start with ... com.apple.account.Yahoo.oauth-token-nosync the bold bit of this example. The italics bit will be the Service (Jabber server) you are using.

I had to do it this way with my Google account at the El Capitan Upgrade.

User uploaded file

5:11 pm Saturday; January 2, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 2, 2016 11:30 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi, Ralph,

I did as you said: deselected the option in Internet Accounts, to no avail; I opened Keychain Access and deleted the appropriate Jabber com.apple.account, returned to Messages, but still can't delete even though it's deselected.

My Google mail account (which runs through my university) wasn't affected, and I don't use Google for messages.

I'm about to go to your first message regarding the camera's unavailability (never had that happen before upgrade). In other words, I'll be back!

With thanks and appreciation,

Charles

Jan 2, 2016 11:56 AM in response to CVG

Ralph,

responding to my own message: I did remove one of the jabber accounts through Internet Accounts, it just doesn't disappear from the Messages Accounts panel in Preferences. But that didn't affect anything else.

Also, I did delete the com.apple.account.google etc in Keychain access. Still didn't do any good.

I'll now respond to your first message in the appropriate place.

Jan 3, 2016 11:57 AM in response to CVG

Hi,

When I read the Original Post the first time I did not spot the ID for a Facebook Chat ID.

They have shut done their Jabber server and are using a more proprietary chat method in the normal Facebook pages (no Second ID)

It does mean it will not work in Messages anyway which may be why you want to delete it.

The similarity I had was my Google Account is also through a Jabber server and I could not get it to login to make any changes.

The System Preferences > Internet accounts seems to cause the creation of the com.apple.account.service.auth or oauth token item.

As I said I deleted this and I happened to find an out of date Certificate that I also deleted.

I was then fully able to "turn Off" the Messages option in the System Preferences > Internet accounts pane for the Google ID (in my case).

Following that the Minus item worked in Messages so I could delete it.

Then I re-added it in my case I wanted it to work.

Try it this way:-

In the Keychain leave anything that is just the Facebook Application Password that might be used in Mail and or Messages.

Delete Anything that relates to the com.apple.account.Facebook.auth (or oauth) tokens There are likely to be Refresh ones, Expiry date ones and nosync ones amongst others.

Check there are no out dated Certificates.

Now go to ~/Library/Preferences and find the com.apple.iChat.Jabber.plist item and drag that to the Trash.

(Hold the ALT key down whilst using the Finder > Go Menu and then choose Library that appears in the menu followed by navigating to Preferences)

Make sure the Messages option is turned Off in Internet Accounts > Facebook.

Hopefully the Account should now be deletable in Messages (Active Minus button.)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

7:56 pm Sunday; January 3, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 4, 2016 11:35 AM in response to Tim Klauck

Hi,

I am sure I have documented all the steps I found I had to take for my Google account.

Only two accounts should be on permanent view.

The Bonjour one which has been like that since iChat's first version (Day 1)

and the iMessages one that can have the Apple ID removed so that it shows it waiting for an Apple ID but you cannot remove it entirely.

Anything else is supposed to be able to be deleted by using the minus icon.

Having said that I have had issues with being able to properly change the details from th Google Login and it failing to do so and then not being able to delete it myself.

At this point if you have deleted any Keychain Item (even Jabber application Password as you no longer want it) and have deleted the .plist for com.apple.iChat.Jabber.plist then I would double check the following.

IN the Finder > Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key.

Select the Library that appears in the Menu.

Navigate to Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Preferences

In here should be an Alias to points to the com.apple.ichat.Jabber item that is over in ~/Library/Preferences

This is an icon view of the folder in Containers.

User uploaded file

Even in Cover Flow the little curved arrow should be visible.

In both ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Preferences and the ~/Library/Preferences delete the contents of the By Host folder.

User uploaded file

7:35 pm Monday; January 4, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 4, 2016 12:04 PM in response to Tim Klauck

Hi,

You are not getting any error type messages that you cannot move items to the Trash ?

You are not using Simple Finder or Parental Controls on the Mac User account you are in ?

Have you ever tested Parental Controls in any Mac User Account and this Jabber ID ?

If so go to that Mac User account and turn Off Parental Controls for Messages for that Mac User account.

User uploaded file

8:04 pm Monday; January 4, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jun 30, 2016 4:52 AM in response to CVG

I have the exact same issue but with an AIM account. Won't connect, doesn't delete when I hit the minus sign (which is not grayed out). I have two additional AIM accounts that worked fine before I went into a frenzy and deleted anything that referenced ichat, aim or messages in the preferences folder, which amazingly DID NOT HELP and only destroyed my set up for those accounts as well. This is super frustrating. Any new info to offer?

Jun 30, 2016 2:04 PM in response to siouxzie7

Hi,

If you delete com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist then it should have been re-generated when you launched the app again.

It should not effect they way the accounts logs in (you might loose the Port and SSL settings at most.)

Can the Accounts be turned Off in System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

User uploaded file

10:04 pm Thursday; June 30, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Can't delete an iChat (Messages) account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.