Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod touch 2nd generation

I feel like a bad girlfriend. I bought my boyfriend this iPod for Christmas (I got it pretty cheap on Ebay) because he doesn't have a cell phone and I thought it would be a good way to be able to message each other whenever he has Wifi, but I wasn't thinking and didn't realize the operating system would be so out of date. Every app I try to download says it needs a more recent operating system. Is there any messaging app I can download or messaging website that will work on this iPod?

iPod touch, iOS 3.1.3

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 6:57 PM

1 reply

Dec 29, 2015 1:22 AM in response to katieplaystrombone

Do you have a 1G or 2G iPod? I ask because a 1G can only go to iOS 3.1.3 while a 2G can go to 4.2.1. A 1 G does not have volume buttons on the upper left edge and few apps are available for the 1G now.

If you have a 2G update:

To update

The Settings>General>Software Update comes with iOS 5 and later.

Connect the iPod to your computer and update via iTunes as far as your iPod model allows

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

A 1G iPod can go to iOS 2.2 via iTunes and iOS 3.1.3 via

Purchasing iOS 3.1 Software Update for iPod touch (1st generation)

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/touchLegacyLandingPage

- A 2G to 4.2.1. Requires iTunes version 10 or higher. If a Mac it requires OSX 10.5.8 or later.

Identifying iPod models

To more easily find compatible apps:

iOSSearch - search the iTunes store for compatible apps.

Apple Club - filter apps by iOS version.

Starting when iOS 7 was released, Apple now allows downloading the last compatible version of some apps (iOS 4.2.1 and later only)

Install the latest compatible version of an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X

Note the neither the 1G or 2G iPod have the Apple Messages app

ipod touch 2nd generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.