Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have numerous iMovie6HD projects. Can they be used by FC Express HD ver.3.5

I have been using iMovie 6HD for many years and have numerous files that I have not yet processed. I really like IM6HD but may be forced to move away from OS 10.6.8. IM6HD will not open in OS 10.7 which will make me lose over one hundred IM6 files. Can these files be converted for use in FCxHD? I will have to learn the functions of FCx but that is another battle. I have had FCx version 3.5 for years but have never used it.

I really like iMovie6HD and don't want to move to another unfamiliar product due the learning curve but may have no choice.

Thanks for reading,

Harold

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8), quad 2.7ghz 16GB and 17 inch MB Pro

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 5:50 PM

1 reply

Dec 30, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Harold Coates

Harold Coates wrote:

IM6HD will not open in OS 10.7 which will make me lose over one hundred IM6 files.

Have you tried installing the application yourself, or is this information from second hand sources?

I am fairly sure that I tested iMovie 6 up through Mavericks and that it worked.

If your objective is to edit clips that were imported into iMovie, but you have yet to start editing them, I would suggest that you get the modern version of iMovie and reimport the clips from the iMovie 6 event folders. I doubt that Final Cut Express 3.5 will install on any OS that iMovie 6 won't also install on. Furthermore, the learning curve would be considerable since the two applications have very little in common. The new iMovie will also require a fair amount if learning, but it is a modern program which can work better with modern file formats than either the old iMovie or FCE.

Riss

Have numerous iMovie6HD projects. Can they be used by FC Express HD ver.3.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.