Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I swiped left on a gmail on my phone and have lost the whole thread

I have just accidentally swiped left on two emails (one single message, and the last part of a thread) on my iPhone 6. I've logged onto my computer to search for them, but can't find them at all. The last one was just received this morning. Very confused about labels/archived/deleted etc, but just need the messages back.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 6:33 AM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2015 12:36 PM in response to alic6909

Hi alic6909,

If I understand your question, if you accidentally delete an email message on your iPhone 6, you want to know if you can recover it, is that right? An immediate option that you have is to shake the iPhone to undo what you just did. Otherwise, you can recover the deleted email message from the email account's trash folder. Here's some additional information from the iPhone User Guide:

Work with multiple messages
http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/#/iph9db03b2f5

Delete, move, or mark multiple messages. While viewing a list of messages, tap Edit. Select some messages, then choose an action. If you make a mistake, shake iPhone immediately to undo.

Manage a message with a swipe. While viewing a list of messages, swipe a message to the left to reveal a menu of actions. Swipe all the way to the left to select the first action. You can also swipe a message to the right to reveal another action. Choose the actions you want to appear in the menus at Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Swipe Options.

Organize your mail with mailboxes. Tap Edit in the mailboxes list to create a new one, or rename or delete one. (Some built-in mailboxes can’t be changed.) There are several smart mailboxes, such as Unread, that show messages from all your accounts. Tap the ones you want to use.

Recover a deleted message. Go to the account’s Trash mailbox, open the message, then tap User uploaded file and move the message. Or, if you just deleted it, shake iPhone to undo. To see deleted messages across all your accounts, add the Trash mailbox. To add it, tap Edit in the mailboxes list, then select it in the list.

Archive instead of delete. Instead of deleting messages, you can archive them so they’re still around, in the Archive mailbox, if you need them. To turn this option on, select Archive Mailbox in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > account name > Account > Advanced. Then, to delete a message instead of archiving it, touch and hold User uploaded file, then tap Delete.

Stash your trash. You can set how long deleted messages stay in the Trash mailbox. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > [account name] > Account > Advanced.

Take care,

I swiped left on a gmail on my phone and have lost the whole thread

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.