Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Claasic MAC 7.5.2 create a cloned image

My company is currently using a Macintosh Power PC 7200/90 with OS ver 7.5.2 with special software installed (platemaker). The pc is working fine and performs laser etching for our company. I have the task to backup / clone the hard-drive. I am not a MAC or Apple person. How do I accomplish this task. I deally I would like to whole drive cloned in case that drive fails. Help, please...

PowerBook, iOS 7

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 9:06 AM

3 replies

Dec 29, 2015 2:41 PM in response to jlspcdr

Apple Disk Copy provides a cloned image facility that can restore the image to another drive. This is very slow. If you can find someone with an old copy of EMC/Dantz Retrospect for Mac OS/System 7.5 that would work too. http://www.apple.com/usergroups/ is an excellent resource for finding people with old Macs, and so is http://www.lowendmac.com/

By the way, Mac is not an acronym. It is shorthand for Macintosh, both the operating system and the name of the computers made by Apple Inc.

Writing it in all uppercase is something that reveals the lack of this knowledge, and should be corrected of anyone who does.

iOS is not the name of the operating system for the old PowerPC Macs. Apple called these operating systems System and/or Mac OS. It changed over with Mac OS 7.6. iOS is the name Apple gives the operating systems found on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Mac OS X is the operating system on every Mac since 2001.

Dec 29, 2015 3:17 PM in response to jlspcdr

A computer running System 7.5.2 needs a plain HFS (Mac OS Standard) hard disk format, not the newer HFS+ (Mac OS Extended).

The easiest way would be to connect an external (correctly formatted) SCSI hard drive to the SCSI port of the Power Macintosh 7200/90.

In order to backup the entire internal hard disk, one can normally boot from a CD or a floppy, and then just drag the internal hard disk icon to the external hard disk icon. The size of the external hard disk must be larger than the used size on the internal drive.

Certain software products may be copy protected and could require special procedures and/or hardware keys. This may or may not limit backup possibilities.

Power Macintosh 7200/90: Technical Specifications

Dec 29, 2015 4:12 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Sadly, dragging and dropping does not result in a "blessed" system folder. Although you can while booted from another system drag and drop the the System File and Fonts File back into the System folder to make it blessed. Until it is blessed and showing an image of the System icon on the folder icon itself, it will not function as a bootable system. Note: Macs will not boot from a system older than they shipped with. The 7500/90 Mhz version of 7.5.2 was very unstable for internet using its OpenTransport, and some have had success instead managing MacTCP with it or upgrading to 7.5.5. 7.5.5 is a free update using the:

7.5.3 installer

and the

7.5.5 update.

These will at least together make OpenTransport more stable.

Claasic MAC 7.5.2 create a cloned image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.