Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing between OS X 10.4.8 and OS 9.2.2

I have seen a couple of postings on this topic and have tried to do what is suggested without success. I'm setting up a new Mac Pro and need to pull files from an ancient G4. I have the G4 set up for network sharing. I have set up a network called "Home". I have the Built-in Ethernet 2 set such that "Make Apple Talk Active" is checked. When I go to the Finder mode Go:Connect to Server, I type in
afp://140.50.4.24
and smash the Connect button.
this is the IP of the G4
But the Mac Pro can't find it. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong? Please help....
Best Regards.....Meri Lynn

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 19, 2006 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2006 2:34 PM

Did you try it from the G4/OS9.2.2 machine from Chooser>AppleShare>IP of the MacPro?

"AppleTalk issues

Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, and Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.3.9 support file sharing (AFP) connections over AppleTalk. However, Mac OS X versions 10.0 to 10.0.4 and 10.4 and later can only connect to AppleShare over TCP/IP.

Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X can both connect over TCP/IP without AppleTalk.

Mac OS X 10.4 and later don't support Personal File Sharing (or other AFP) over Appletalk, though by initiating the connection from the opposite direction you could still achieve an IP connection from a Mac OS 8 computer to a sharing Mac OS X computer. The Network preference pane in Mac OS X 10.4 and later still offers the AppleTalk checkbox, but it is for browsing AppleTalk-advertised resources and zones. The subsequent connection must be over TCP/IP."
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2006 2:34 PM in response to Meri Lynn

Did you try it from the G4/OS9.2.2 machine from Chooser>AppleShare>IP of the MacPro?

"AppleTalk issues

Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, and Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.3.9 support file sharing (AFP) connections over AppleTalk. However, Mac OS X versions 10.0 to 10.0.4 and 10.4 and later can only connect to AppleShare over TCP/IP.

Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X can both connect over TCP/IP without AppleTalk.

Mac OS X 10.4 and later don't support Personal File Sharing (or other AFP) over Appletalk, though by initiating the connection from the opposite direction you could still achieve an IP connection from a Mac OS 8 computer to a sharing Mac OS X computer. The Network preference pane in Mac OS X 10.4 and later still offers the AppleTalk checkbox, but it is for browsing AppleTalk-advertised resources and zones. The subsequent connection must be over TCP/IP."

File Sharing between OS X 10.4.8 and OS 9.2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.