Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 questions: battery life and trade-in

Hello, 

I'm considering trading in my iPod 5th gen for a 6th gen, since I've had it for nearly two years and have come to realize in the last month or two that it no longer has much battery capacity (it lasts almost an hour and a half playing music from my library and using Safari for 20 mins or so, no other background program open, at 1/3 backlight brightness; if I try to play a game or take pictures, I'm lucky if it lasts 15-20 minutes after a full charge.) Rather than get the battery replaced, I'd rather get the newer model, mainly because it has double the RAM and would be able to handle games that my current device cannot.

I've got 2 questions:

1. With the way I use it, what is the best way to preserve battery life in my next device? I keep it plugged in while listening to it during a full day at work, and then at night I also keep it plugged in while I listen to music/videos to fall asleep, and need it in the morning as it serves as my alarm clock. Is it better for the battery life to let the battery become nearly depleted at work before plugging it in, rather than keeping it plugged in all day?

2. Since my current one is still in good shape aside from the battery, I'd like to trade it in at Best Buy when buying the new one. Besides resetting it to factory settings, is there anything else I need to do to prepare it, or make sure that the new user won't gain access to anything of mine?

iPod touch

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 1:46 PM

This information should help.

1.It shouldn't really hurt to keep the device plugged in, but it will be bad for the battery to let it become nearly depleted. Lithium-ion batteries do not fair well when treated in that manner. However, you could let it use some battery before plugging it back in again, say 50% or so.

2. See this support document. What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Alarra

This information should help.

1.It shouldn't really hurt to keep the device plugged in, but it will be bad for the battery to let it become nearly depleted. Lithium-ion batteries do not fair well when treated in that manner. However, you could let it use some battery before plugging it back in again, say 50% or so.

2. See this support document. What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Dec 29, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Alarra

1. There is nothing special needed for the battery. You can keep it on the charger or use it mobile. About one every 3 months you should use it continuously on battery until the charge drops to under 20%, then recharge it (this is only if you keep it connected to the wall outlet. This isn't needed if you use it in the field on battery power.)
  2. What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

About Batteries in iDevices

Apple - Batteries

Battery University

Apple - Batteries - iPod

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Apple - Batteries - iPad

How to Calibrate Your Mac, iPhone, or iPad Battery | MacBlend

2 questions: battery life and trade-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.