Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot open photos library from external hard drive? See error message.

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 1:46 PM

7 replies

Dec 29, 2015 2:39 PM in response to Old Toad

I am unaware what EHD, but it is a Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive connected via usb. I was previously using iPhoto prior to the awful update, but now have Photo. Operating system is Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted) Version 10.10.5. I have attempted to open in iPhoto and Photo but I end with same error message. Prior to the system update I was able to open photos from external drive. I have also tried to repair photos library, but nothing seems to help.

Dec 29, 2015 3:20 PM in response to Dtzdre

What version of iPhoto are you using? Try the following on the iPhoto library:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

cannot open photos library from external hard drive? See error message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.