Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hearing aids and ios9.2

RRecently upgraded my iPad mini 2 and iPhone 6s. Now I can no longer control my Kirkland Signature 6 hearing aids which are specifically designed to work with Apple products. They will pair up, but I can't control volumn or preset program. I can only control streaming to left or right and if streming music only or phone as well. Why would Apple delete this feature. It was the primary reason I bought the iPhone 6s.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2, IPad mini 2 as well

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 4:01 PM

9 replies

Dec 30, 2015 5:28 PM in response to jimfrombellevue

Did you check with Kirkland to see if their devices are compatible with the latest version of iOS? Discrete changes can be made in iOS, and because of that, device manufacturers have access to beta copies of the software prior to release to test their products to ensure they still work with the latest iOS. While this may not necessarily be the issue, I would think that Kirkland would be able to better address your question here, since no one from Apple is here on the forum. This is a user to user forum. While no one here would know what Apple does or does not do, speculation is prohibited, so I believe Kirkland would better address your issue.

Dec 31, 2015 8:22 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for your thoughts I'm more convinced now that this is an Apple ios issue. I just used my daughter in law iPhone which has not upgraded to the latest ios 9.2 and it paired up and the complete operability of the hearing aid control was there.

I will try to take this up with Apple if I can ever get through = I'm not good at waiting for 30 minutes.

Dec 31, 2015 8:30 AM in response to jimfrombellevue

You may very well be correct that it has to do with iOS 9.2, but that does not indicate that it is an iOS issue. As I stated earlier, updates to iOS can include changes to Bluetooth profiles. That is why updates are provided to device manufacturers to ensure their devices work with the product. Adjustments may need to be made to a product to ensure compliance with the Apple product. That was why I recommended you contact the hearing aid manufacturer to see if their device is compatible with the latest iOS. They could probably answer that faster than your wait with Apple, especially since you are not good at waiting. And they may also be able to tell you if there is an update to their product or if one is in the works. From there you can speak with Apple, knowing what the hearing aid manufacturer has to say about their product working with the latest iOS.

Jan 2, 2016 11:12 AM in response to jimfrombellevue

Jim:

I had similar issues when I upgraded to iOS9.2. I went back to Costco and had them reboot the hearing aids and it all came back. They have a "bulletin" on the issue. Contact Costco.

I also have another problem (independent of the above issue). The hearing aids connection causes my Bluetooth audio streaming to stop working. I can connect to a BT device but the audio only comes out of the phone speaker. I went to Apple prior to understanding what the issue was and they replaced the phone. As soon as I connected the hearing aids the BT audio broke... Are you (or anyone) having this issue? I kinda like to have both functional...

David

Jan 2, 2016 11:21 AM in response to Dvdswnsn

David,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will go to Costco for a hearing aid upgrade. Also, since my earlier post, my D-I-L upgraded her phone to 9.2 and it would no longer work with my phone as before. So clearly to me, something change in ios 9.2 that made our hearing aids no longer function as before, but as your point out, there is an upgrade from Costco that will fix it.

In addition, I found a Costco hearing aid forum that suggested another app that I installed on my phone - called Kirkland Signature Choice. You may want to try it. It provides more controls for your hearing aids that are available on the basic iPhone controls available before the 9.2 change, such as muting, treble and bass control. Just visit the App Store, type the name in search and it should come up, plus its free.

Jan 4, 2016 7:21 AM in response to Dvdswnsn

Dvdswnsn wrote:

Thanks Chris, I hear you.

I will contact the co hearing center and notify them of the issue.

I am not thinking that Apple will do much unless this is an endemic issue with all BT enabled hearing aids. I am not thinking that it is...

Thanks again

I agree, since it is up to the hearing aid company to ensure compatibility. Good luck.

Jan 6, 2016 12:59 PM in response to jimfrombellevue

From the manufacturer:

Thank you for contacting ReSound. For your initial issue you will have to go back to your Hearing Care Professional at Costco. With the iOS9.2 update, anyone who has not been connected to the fitting software since their update in September needs to get connected for the Triple-Click Menu to function or for the Settings menu to look right. Your Hearing Care Professional just needs to physically hook up your hearing aids to their computer system and save the programming for this to function again.

To get reconnected for streaming to both hearing aids:

1) Make sure your batteries are fresh and you do not have any other compatible Bluetooth devices with Bluetooth turned on within 30 feet.

2) Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Hearing Aids

3) Tap on Tim’s Hearing Aids

4) Scroll down to Forget This Device, tap it and tap Forget again to confirm

5) Turn your phone completely off and then on again. Hold down the power button until it says “slide to power off” and once the screen is completely off hold the power button down again until you see the Apple symbol

6) Go back to Settings > General > Accessibility > Hearing Aids

7) Open and close your hearing aid battery doors

8) Tap on your name when it comes up in black text (usually you would get a pairing request but with the iOS9.2 issue you do not get this until you are reconnected to the fitting software)

Hearing aids and ios9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.