Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to delete photos off iPhone but keep on mac?

I'm very new to my Macbook and just trying to learn the ins and outs. I've had an iPhone for a few years now, and mainly got a Macbook because I love my iPhone so much, and needed a new computer. My problem is, I'm wanting to delete the photos off my iPhone to clear up some space, but keep them on my Macbook. Everytime I delete one off my phone, it deletes off my macbook also.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 30, 2015 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2015 1:36 AM

Everytime I delete one off my phone, it deletes off my macbook also.

Do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled, both on your iPhone and your Mac? Then you are syncing the library on your Mac and your iPhone in iCloud. all photos are stored in iCloud, any adjustments you do will sync to iCloud, and then the changes will be synced to all devices, so your Photos library will look exactly alike on all devices.

You must not delete any photo you want to keep on any of your devices, if you are using iCloud Photo Library. To save storage on your iPhone enable "Optimize Storage". Then the photos on your iPhone will be reduced in file size , but you need an internet connection if you want to see the full versions.

If you want less photos on your iPhone than on your Mac, don't use iCloud Photo Library. Enable only "My Photo Stream" to transfer the photos from your iPhone to your Mac or use a USB connection. My Photo Stream is more economic, anyway., because it is free. iCloud Photo Library uses the paid iCloud Storage, and only 5GB are free. If your photos need more storage, you will need a paid subscription.

See these support pages: iCloud Photo Library FAQ

and: iCloud: Get help using My Photo Stream

If you want to switch iCloud Photo Library off, be sure to disable "Optimize Storage" before you do that. Wait for the full versions to download again from iCloud.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2015 1:36 AM in response to jerynbates

Everytime I delete one off my phone, it deletes off my macbook also.

Do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled, both on your iPhone and your Mac? Then you are syncing the library on your Mac and your iPhone in iCloud. all photos are stored in iCloud, any adjustments you do will sync to iCloud, and then the changes will be synced to all devices, so your Photos library will look exactly alike on all devices.

You must not delete any photo you want to keep on any of your devices, if you are using iCloud Photo Library. To save storage on your iPhone enable "Optimize Storage". Then the photos on your iPhone will be reduced in file size , but you need an internet connection if you want to see the full versions.

If you want less photos on your iPhone than on your Mac, don't use iCloud Photo Library. Enable only "My Photo Stream" to transfer the photos from your iPhone to your Mac or use a USB connection. My Photo Stream is more economic, anyway., because it is free. iCloud Photo Library uses the paid iCloud Storage, and only 5GB are free. If your photos need more storage, you will need a paid subscription.

See these support pages: iCloud Photo Library FAQ

and: iCloud: Get help using My Photo Stream

If you want to switch iCloud Photo Library off, be sure to disable "Optimize Storage" before you do that. Wait for the full versions to download again from iCloud.

how to delete photos off iPhone but keep on mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.