Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth shutter issue on iOS 9.2

After I upgrade to iOS 9.2, my bluetooth shutter on selfie stick does not work any more.

My other iPhone still on iOS 9.1 works fine.

It seems that iOS 9.2 has the bug or disable the bluetooth shutter.

Anyone has same issue?

Thanks

iOS 9.2, null

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 11:10 PM

14 replies

Dec 30, 2015 3:05 PM in response to miriarm

I have an issue where I have several blue tooth shutter buttons, and neither one of them works on my iPhone 6s.

Both shutter buttons still work on my iPhone 5S and worked both with IOS 9.1 and after the upgrade to IOS 9.2.

If you are having issues with an iPhone 6s, I think its back to the phone rather than the version of IOS.

Others apparently are having Bluetooth issues with the new iPhone 6s and the latest version of IOS (9.2) doesn't appear to have fixed it.

Hopefully IOS 9.2.1 will address this, but I don't know if it's even on Apple's list of issues for this release.

Dec 30, 2015 3:37 PM in response to SuperUser1

Update: I tried both of my Bluetooth shutters again and have more information:

Bluetooth Shutter #1: iCake Bluetooth Shutter (purchased recently from Amazon for ~$5) now pairs and works correctly on both my iPhone 5S and iPhone 6s. The battery on the shutter was weak before. Replacing it solved my intermittent pairing problem. It now pairs to either phone and operates the shutter when the camera is on. This shutter shows up as "MW-302" under the list of paired Bluetooth devices.

Bluetooth Shutter #2: Wireless One Explorer Pro (purchased ~1.5 years ago as part of a selfie stick combination). This unit now pairs with both iPhones, however, the shutter button will only trigger the camera on the iPhone 5S. Even through the shutter pairs with the iPhone 6S, the shutter never fires when the button is pressed. Changing the battery on this one made no difference. Note that this shutter button is first recognized as a "keyboard" when paired with the phone, but then later shows up as "Explorer Pro" under the list of paired Bluetooth devices.

So it seems that not all shutter buttons are communicating in the same way with the phone and there is still a difference in the way the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6s interpret the signal from the Bluetooth shutter.

Feb 5, 2016 5:36 AM in response to miriarm

I am developing a VR app that uses input from a small iCade-compatible bluetooth controller, but unfortunately it does not work on iOS 9.2.1 (I have not tested 9.2).

This is a show-stopper.

The only solution right now is to limit ourselves to older iOS version. We could purchase MFi controllers instead, in theory, but I can only find large two-handed models that are not really suitable for our application.

I found a few search hits on various bluetooth keyboard related issues with iOS 9.2, but nothing concrete on how or when this is going to be fixed.

On iOS 8, the touch keyboard does not appear in the messaging app while the bluetooth controller is connected, and pressing buttons will produce corresponding iCade characters in the text field.

On iOS 9.2.1, the touch keyboard shows up in the messaging app, and pressing buttons does not produce any text.

My app uses iCade code available on GitHub (zantoku/iCade-Unity) - it captures input in (void)insertText:(NSString *)text of a UIView <UIKeyInput> implementation.

Someone on Reddit submitted a bug report to Apple about a month ago (https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/3wi317/my_bluetooth_keyboard_doesnt_works _on_92/).
I wonder if anyone knows anything about this - I certainly hope this is a non-intentional regression and Apple is working on a fix.

Feb 13, 2016 10:57 AM in response to helgewl

I just purchased a selfie stick assuming it would work with my iPhone 4s - it doesn't. Evidently the stick is not faulty, it is iOS 9.2 that is the problem.

In my view, lack of functionality with third party products is a huge weakness of the iPhone/iPad/Mac range, which has worsened with each successive operating system update.

I don't know if Apple think they are being clever and destroying the opposition?

When my phone is up for renewal it will be a Samsung Galaxy.

Mar 4, 2016 8:35 AM in response to miriarm

I just had an interesting conversation with "Bamm" from live support chat at http://www.saycheesestick.com/

These bluetooth selfie-sticks work by emulating a keyboard, just like iCade controllers.

The selfie-stick developer is reporting "iOS 9.2 not supported" on their website, but Bamm said that they are expecting the functionality restored in iOS 9.3, and "some of the beta tests are looking better".

Unfortunately, as you probably know, Apple rarely makes promises about anything, so it is far from guaranteed that the fix will actually be included in 9.3 final.

We actually had a really nice chat, and agreed on bashing Apple a bit ;-)

Mar 29, 2016 8:17 AM in response to miriarm

iPhone 6s Plus with iOS 9.3

Wirelessone Explorer Pro bluetooth picture shutter (rectangular blue plastic box)

When pairing it first shows as "keyboard" then "Explorer Pro"

It stays properly paired

Definitely DOES NOT trigger the shutter... ever!

Also make sure to switch the shutter off again, else no keyboards will show up in your iPhone apps! LOL

Enjoy!!!

PS: the http://www.wirelessoneco.com website is apparently looking for a new owner... oh dear!

Mar 29, 2016 1:11 PM in response to Peaxcekeeperguitar

Sorry to hear that iOS 9.3 still doesn't work with your Wirelessone Explorer Pro.

I have not yet had the chance to test iOS 9.3 with our application and bluetooth remotes, but it sounds like it might be working again — you say that the keyboard doesn't show up when the shutter is connected, which means iOS is probably detecting it as a bluetooth keyboard, but perhaps the shutter is just sending the wrong key (it might have changed).

The previously mentioned selfie-stick producer, http://www.saycheesestick.com/, reports that 9.3 is working.

bluetooth shutter issue on iOS 9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.