Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac (27 inch, 5k retina, late 2015) start up problem

I'm currently using the 27-inch 5k retina late 2015 iMac.

My iMac doesn't always start up as expected. There will be a startup chime, however the screen will just remain black all the way. Sometimes it takes more 5 mins to magically start up after freezing at the black screen. And when I managed to log in, my mouse (USB) might freeze on some occasions. I have downloaded Smoothmouse to kill the mouse acceleration.

I have tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM, however it does not seem to solve the issue. I have been facing this exact same problem after exchanging 3 sets of iMac.

Was wondering if a faulty mouse could be the cause of this problem? Or could it be the Smoothmouse. Nevertheless, I still don't think an iMac could be so vulnerable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posted on Dec 30, 2015 4:12 AM

17 replies

Jan 1, 2016 7:32 AM in response to DJkhoo

Hi DJkhoo,

You are not alone in this, and I don't think that it is the mouse. I am experiencing the same issue on the same machine. Also, here is a link to a thread at Macrumors that indicates others are also having issues, seemingly related to El Capitan:

I spent a lot of $$$ on this machine after having software issues on my old Mac, so I am feeling extremely frustrated right now, and I really don't want to spend my day on the phone with AppleCare.

<Link Edited by Host>

Jan 1, 2016 12:05 PM in response to MarkGo

Yes! I do suspect that it might be due to the OS version. The first thing that I do to every brand new set of iMac that I have used is to install updates from the app store. And for the previous 3 sets that I have used are all on El Captian 10.11.1. This current set that I'm holding is on 10.11.2 and the problem seem to be solved except for one failed startup that occured two days back during new year's eve.

I am very worried that the problem might resurface again. By then, my return period would have expired and only left with 1 year warranty. Would you recommend to do a refund and forget about getting this batch of late 2015 iMacs?

Jan 2, 2016 2:02 PM in response to DJkhoo

Hi DJkhoo,

Thanks for the update.

I am unsure what I am going to do (and I am not enough of an expert to make a recommendation about what I think others should do). I am disappointed, though, because I did a clean install on all of my apps and am surprised to have a startup problem with (what I assume) is the software. I do know enough about Macs that I've found that when I can't solve the problem, Apple Care techs often can't either. I have to believe that a Mac engineer can figure it out, but any time I've had a problem forwarded from a Senior Technician at Apple Care to an engineer I've never gotten any feedback or additional help past that point in the process. While the Techs have been helpful and responsive, when my problems haven't been solved, I am left with a faulty computer and have spent an additional few hours solving this 'extra' work of troubleshooting.

Right now, I am in the process of uninstalling any applications on my computer that I've added that look at all suspect. Mike Sombrio raises a valid question and yes, it is true that everything seemed to work OK for the first week or so. Then, I added a few more applications, which seemed to be when the trouble started. Hopefully, uninstalling one of those applications will work, but I don't know what I'll do if it doesn't, and if Apple Care can't help. I am pretty invested in the Apple ecosystem by now. If any of my efforts solve the problem, I'll post here again, OK?

In trying to fix the problem, I've stumbled across a couple of sites that seem helpful, and that I wasn't aware of before. I will repost them here, in case they might help anyone else. I can't entirely vouch for these sites, but they helped me to narrow down the likely problems.

Best of luck, I will let you know what happens on my end!

Mark

Jan 3, 2016 4:07 AM in response to SeaPapp

Hi Mike,

Sure, I would do that. Thanks for the suggestion -- any help is welcome!

A brief update — since my last post, I tried everything listed in the appletoolbox.com article (other than resetting the SMC or reinstalling the OS X -- haven't tried SMC yet, and don't want to reinstall the OS unless I really have to). What seemed to have the most impact was resetting the NVRAM (that's the 'new' version of resetting the PRAM, for other people reading this). After doing that, my computer went from intermittently starting up (never getting past the Apple logo screen, but succeeding in starting up every other restart) to not starting up (never getting past the Apple logo screen, and repeatedly failing to start up). However, I kept trying to start up, and after one failed safe mode reboot, a regular reboot got me started again. And since then, a normal reboot has started my computer every time -- though I don't think that the problem is entirely solved, because the Apple logo screen is still flickering in and out a bit during startup, which was a minor early symptom of the problem the computer has been having.

My son is just getting up from his nap, so I may not be able to post the EtreCheck until later or tomorrow afternoon -- will give that a shot soon, though.

Thanks,

Mark

Jan 3, 2016 4:07 AM in response to MarkGo

I had this exact same problem with all of the iMacs that I have received and returned. Every failed start up is due to not getting past the Apple logo and loading bar screen. I have also noticed that at the apple logo screen when the loading bar progress reaches slightly more than the halfway mark, it would flicker by going full black screen for maybe 1-2 seconds and then reappear with the apple logo and loading bar. And almost immediately after that, the login page would appear. Sometimes I do notice that the time taken to reach the apple logo screen after the start up chime is inconsistent. It might take longer occasionally even up to 3 - 5 mins for the loading bar to magically appear, in which some cases I would have already thought that the start up had failed.

For the Apple logo screen flickering issue, is it normal for all iMacs or is it really a symptom of the problem? Because I have this issue for all the previous 3 iMacs that I have received.

Jan 3, 2016 4:17 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I had already returned and exchanged 3 sets of iMacs. However the same start up problem seems to be haunting me with every set that I had received. I am just hoping that this set that I am currently holding is working fine so that I do not have to go through the tedious exchange process again. However If this problem is common for all the users using the same batch of late 2015 27inch iMacs, then I would seriously consider a refund and get the 21.5inch 4k iMac or build a new PC instead.

Jan 3, 2016 10:16 AM in response to SeaPapp

Hi Mike,

Here is the EtreCheck report. A couple of brief comments and questions for you and DJkhoo. First, DJkhoo, are you running any video-related software by Aimersoft or LifeFlix? The problem I had may not be related to those products, but those are the ones that I installed just before I started having issues with startup. They are also among the few pieces of software I have on my Mac that are either (1) not from the Apple App Store or (2) seem less likely to cause an issue because they widely used/tested (e.g., software from Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, etc.). Second, Mike, please let me know if anything in the report looks suspect to you. The only surprise in here for me is the Adobe .plist issue -- am going to see if I can drag that out of its folder so that it is regenerated next startup. FYI, in case you are wondering, I am not using Time Machine right now because I don't want to copy everything until the problems cease (and I have all vital files backed up elsewhere).

Thanks, Mark

EtreCheck version: 2.6.6 (226)
Report generated 1/2/16, 7:12 PM
Runtime 1:29
Download EtreCheck from
http://etrecheck.com

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products. Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: (What does this mean?) iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) [Click for Technical Specifications]
[Click for User Guide]

iMac - model: iMac17,1
1 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 4-core 40 GB RAM Upgradeable
[Click for upgrade instructions]

BANK 0/DIMM0
4 GB DDR3 1867 MHz ok

BANK 0/DIMM1
16 GB DDR3 1867 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0
4 GB DDR3 1867 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM1
16 GB DDR3 1867 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Video Information: (What does this mean?) AMD Radeon R9 M395 - VRAM: 2048 MB

iMac 5120 x 2880

System Software: (What does this mean?) OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50) - Time since boot: less than an hour

Disk Information: (What does this mean?) APPLE HDD ST2000DM001 disk0 : (2 TB) (Rotational)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Macintosh HD (disk2) / : 2.11 TB (1.74 TB free) Core Storage: disk1s2 120.99 GB Online Core Storage: disk0s2 2.00 TB Online

APPLE SSD SM0128G disk1 : (121.33 GB) (Solid State - TRIM: Yes) EFI (disk1s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB
Boot OS X (disk1s3) <not mounted> : 134 MB
Macintosh HD (disk2) / : 2.11 TB (1.74 TB free)

Core Storage: disk1s2 120.99 GB Online Core Storage: disk0s2 2.00 TB Online

USB Information: (What does this mean?) Western Digital My Book 1230 4 TB

Headroom (disk3s1) /Volumes/Headroom : 4.00 TB (2.91 TB free) Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Hewlett-Packard HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw

American Power Conversion Back-UPS ES 750 FW:841.I1 .D USB FW:I1 CP1000PFCLCD CRDA103-461

Thunderbolt Information: (What does this mean?) Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Apple Inc. Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

Gatekeeper: (What does this mean?) Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: (What does this mean?) /Applications/DiskWarrior.app

[not loaded] com.alsoft.Preview (5 - SDK 10.5) [Click for support] Launch Agents: (What does this mean?)

[failed]

[running] [running]

com.adobe.ARMDCHelper.cc24aef4a1b90ed56a...plist [Click for support] com.ecamm.iglasses3agent.plist [Click for support] com.fujitsu.pfu.ScanSnap.AOUMonitor.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: (What does this mean?)

[loaded] [loaded] [loaded]

com.adobe.ARMDC.Communicator.plist [Click for support] com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper.plist [Click for support] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: (What does this mean?) [loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support] [running] jp.co.pfu.ScanSnap.SearchablePDFConverter.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: (What does this mean?) iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app) Google Chrome UNKNOWN Hidden (missing value)
ScanSnap Manager Application (/Applications/ScanSnap/ScanSnap Manager.app) Dropbox Application (/Applications/Dropbox.app)
DiskWarriorDaemonStarter Application (/Applications/DiskWarrior.app/Contents/Helpers/

DiskWarriorStarter.app)

Other Apps: (What does this mean?) [running] com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000004.EtreCheck [running] com.getdropbox.dropbox.101792 [running] com.google.Chrome.67552 [running] com.hp.devicemonitor [running] com.microsoft.Outlook.103072 [running] com.microsoft.autoupdate.fba.100192 [running] com.microsoft.outlook.databasedaemon.96032 [running] jp.co.pfu.ScanSnap.V10L10.77152

Internet Plug-ins: (What does this mean?) AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 15.009.20077 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support] SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.5.9 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support] AdobePDFViewer: Version: 15.009.20077 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support] QuickTime Plugin: Version: Unknown
Default Browser: Version: 601 - SDK 10.11

3rd Party Preference Panes: (What does this mean?) MusicManager [Click for support]

Time Machine: (What does this mean?) Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: (What does this mean?) 17% com.hp.devicemonitor

3% Google Chrome Helper(28) 2% WindowServer
2% fontd
1% kernel_task

Top Processes by Memory: (What does this mean?)

3.44 GB

1.91 GB 573 MB

Google Chrome Helper(28)

kernel_task mds_stores

287 MB Google Chrome 246 MB mdworker(9)

Virtual Memory Information: (What does this mean?) 32.00 GB Free RAM
7.86 GB Used RAM (1.82 GB Cached)
0 B Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: (What does this mean?) Jan 2, 2016, 06:33:53 PM Self test - passed
Dec 31, 2015, 09:18:32 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Microsoft

Outlook_2015-12-31-091832_[redacted].cpu_resource.diag [Click for details] Dec 31, 2015, 09:08:50 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Aimersoft Video

Editor_2015-12-31-090850_[redacted].hang

Jan 3, 2016 11:01 AM in response to SeaPapp

A couple of other new, brief observations:

• When I restart from my iMac's user login screen right after startup (instead of logging in as a user), the Apple logo screen freezes when the line has filled nearly half of the 'thermometer'.
  • When I restart normally, the Apple logo screen always pauses briefly when the line has filled 1/3 of the 'thermometer', then goes black for a couple of seconds, then quickly flickers 2-3 times between the Apple logo screen and all black or all white screens, then finishes filling the thermometer and goes to the normal user login screen.
  • I removed the launch items / Adobe plist mentioned above -- that file and the others I removed were actually related to the application Text Wrangler, not Adobe. Had no effect.

Mark

imac (27 inch, 5k retina, late 2015) start up problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.