Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a sleep timer hiding in my new Apple TV?

I know I can put my Apple TV into sleep mode or after inactivity it will go there on it's own; however, I want a sleep timer. I want the TV and Apple TV to power off after 60 minutes so that I'm not using data while asleep. Is there a work around to make this happen??

Posted on Dec 30, 2015 6:42 AM

15 replies

Dec 30, 2015 7:54 AM in response to samantha15332

TThe ATV will sleep automatically after a period of inactivity. So if you enable sleep on your tv, the ATV should go off shortly after...

Put your Apple TV in sleep mode - Apple Support

• Apple TV (4th generation): With your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote,* press and hold the Home button for five seconds. Then Select Sleep Now. You can also go to Settings > Sleep Now.
  • Apple TV (3rd generation and earlier): With your Apple Remote(aluminum or white), press and hold Play/Pause for five seconds. You can also go to Settings > Sleep Now.

Dec 30, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Maybe I'm misunderstand the OP here, but...

If the OP puts on a TV show app such as NOW TV and turns (say) the Discovery channel on and then falls asleep after 30 minutes, the Apple TV (and the TV unless it's own timer is set up independently) will play all night consuming power and potentially eating up any download allowances in place. I believe the OP wants to start watching, knowing that if they fall asleep that the Apple TV will turn itself off and turn the TV off too at the 60 minute mark.

The Apple TV settings as they are will not do this, the settings you refer to only put the TV to sleep if it is idle for the preset time.

Dec 30, 2015 8:49 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

TV episodes from an app like NOW TV for example - yes, TV episodes from iTunes over the internet - no, TV episodes from iTunes via home sharing - yes, so it's a bit of a mixed bag really.

I have turned my TV on on some occasions (where I'd turned it off without turning the Apple TV off) to find a message on screen from some app or other (I don't recall which) that suggests that after a number of hours an online streaming service may stop the stream, I don't know if they all do it, I suspect not, nor do I know after how long, but it is certainly more than just a few hours.

Is there a sleep timer hiding in my new Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.