Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are unknown photos appearing in my camera roll?

I'm using an iPhone 6 (only a week or so old), and some weird photos showed up on my camera roll, some from a stage show on Christmas Day which I was most definitely not at! I have no idea why, or how. I noticed some rather more disturbing photos earlier in the week which alerted me to the problem, and deleted them immediately, thinking perhaps someone had had a bit of joke, albeit not a very good one, but having gone through the roll and finding these popping up randomly, I am worried about the security of my own data. I'm on iCloud so these pics are now on all my devices...

Any suggestions gratefully received!

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G

Posted on Dec 30, 2015 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2015 1:50 PM

Are you using iCLoud Photo Library (there are a number of iCLoud services each of which works differently)? If you are then an addition, deletion or edit made on any device is made to all so those could be coming from any of your devices - get info on some of them adn see what the source device is - that will probably tell you where they are coming from

LN

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Dcs61

Are you using iCLoud Photo Library (there are a number of iCLoud services each of which works differently)? If you are then an addition, deletion or edit made on any device is made to all so those could be coming from any of your devices - get info on some of them adn see what the source device is - that will probably tell you where they are coming from

LN

Dec 31, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Dcs61

Hi both, and thanks for your responses! I've looked into both your suggestions.

I have one shared photo album, but certainly the photo I still have on the roll did not come from there, or appear there. In fact, when I clicked on the information for the strange photo, there was 'no camera/no lens' information at all. All I have is the time/date stamp of Christmas Day. I can't find the other two photos I already deleted to double check those. T

I use icloud for some documents, but not sure what I've used with regards to photos apart from to create the one shared album. To be sure, I've unclicked icloud photo sharing for now, so will see if that makes a difference.

I'd never had any problem before until I got the new phone!

Thanks!

Why are unknown photos appearing in my camera roll?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.