Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can VLC repair damaged video files?

Can VLC or QT Player repair MP4/MOV files? I am running Yosemite 10.10.4 iMac 2014.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), iMac 2014

Posted on Dec 30, 2015 7:44 PM

5 replies

Sep 5, 2017 8:51 AM in response to john.carter32323

Hi,

Yes, VLC Media Player is repair normal corruption issue of damaged Video files. There are two methods of repair Video files through VLC.

1. Repair Corrupted MP4 or MOV Video Files: With this method VLC media player repair almost all types of video file formats like: MP4, MOV, ASF, AVI, 3GP etc.
  2. Repair Only AVI Video File: In this process VLC only repair AVI file format. This technique is more powerful and effective. If your file is not in AVI format and you wants to repair your video file through this method. So first you can change your Video file extension to .avi. Then repair your Video File.

Get Complete process of video file through VLC media player visit: https://www.ibidinfo.com/blog/how-to-fix-corrupted-mp4-and-mov-videos-with-vlc-m edia-player.html

Jan 18, 2017 1:24 AM in response to john.carter32323

Totally agree with dean@26 about VLC’s feature of repairing video files. But, it may only work in some situations like video index issues, etc. For major corruption issues associated with a video file, it is mandatory to find out an effective video repair tool. You can read about such a tool from http://www.digitalvideo-repair.com/incomplete-files.html

Jan 18, 2017 1:25 AM in response to john.carter32323

I must say that perhaps the best software to repair your broken AVI video file is none other than to use the best video player in the market - VLC Media Player. VLC comes with a build-in feature that recovers broken AVI files, as well as MP4 and MOV files. you can configure VLC to automatically fix damaged AVI and MP4 files easily.

However, there are many reasons that can make MP4 video corrupted, the result is dependable. Good luck!😉

Dec 30, 2015 8:56 PM in response to john.carter32323

Yes, somewhat - Directions:

First, make a copy of the original file just in case.

Rename the .MP4 / .MOV file to .AVI

Open VLC

Choose VLC > Preferences > Input/Codecs > Then next to "Repair AVI Files" choose "Always Fix" - Then Click save in the bottom of the Preferences Window.

I am not sure if this actually "repairs" the file, but it has allowed me to play damaged files in the past.

Happy New Year!

Can VLC repair damaged video files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.