Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother Network Printer not working on PowerPC Mac

Hello all, I recently purchased a second hand Brother network printer (model: MFC-8460N).

I have successfully installed the printer on all my Intel-based Mac computers by way of using the built in Mac 'add printer' wizard.

I tried doing the same procedure on my Power Mac G5, which I thought worked because the printer showed up in my list of devices. But whenever I tried to send a job to the printer it always got stuck at 24% in the queue.

I downloaded the specific driver for the printer and my OS directly from the manufacturer's website and have installed that in lieu of the non-working driver that my Mac found, but the same result remains.

I would like to one day get the printer working properly as I use this (Power Mac G5) for most of my writing since it's in my bedroom. 🙂

What other options can I try?

Thanks in advance,

Joey

User uploaded file

Power Mac G5-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8), null

Posted on Dec 30, 2015 11:34 PM

1 reply

Dec 31, 2015 9:32 AM in response to jvancouverbc

10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8 instructions...

In System Preferences>Fax & Print, Right click or Control+click on the Printers list Sidebar, choose Reset Printing System.

if you hold option and click the "-" tab it resets the printing system.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions.

Any devices that previously appeared in your Printer List and Fax List will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X 10.5.x+++

1. To use the Reset Printing System feature in Mac OS X 10.5.x, follow these steps:

2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

3. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.

4. Control-click on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..." 

As an alternative, if you currently have one or more printers listed, you can Option-click the "-" (Remove printer) button.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341

Reboot.

Brother Network Printer not working on PowerPC Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.