Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung EVO 850 SSD on Macbook Pro

Dear all,

I've purchased a Samsung Evo 850 SSD to use in my mac (replacing a Kingston SSD than 'burned out'). I've updated the firmware on the SSD on a Windows Machine and runned a lot of testing on the SSD on a Linux Install. Windows and Linux have no issues handing the harddisk.

My Macbook pro can't create partitions and exits with input/output error. In any other machine the SSD works fine, tested in 3 machines already. The SATA cable is also working OK as if I place the original apple harddrive it works also OK.

Isn't this silly enough?

NMM

Posted on Dec 31, 2015 3:15 AM

5 replies

Dec 31, 2015 3:22 AM in response to ketheriel

You may have made an unfortunate selection with the Samsung SSD. Though there have been success stories with them on these forums, there also have been many problems with them. Note that the Samsung web site does not mention Mac compatibility. You might contact Samsung technical support and see what they have to say.

ketheriel wrote:

My Macbook pro can't create partitions and exits with input/output error. In any other machine the SSD works fine, tested in 3 machines already. The SATA cable is also working OK as if I place the original apple harddrive it works also OK.

Are these 3 machines all Macs? Have you tried testing the SSD externally via USB?

Ciao.

Dec 31, 2015 5:49 AM in response to ketheriel

Check if the 850 is correctly formatted: Partition Table GUID, Mac OS X Extended (journaled). If not redo it on the destination mac machine, either inside (from the Recovery Partition) or outside.

Then I have the following comments to make:

-- It is better not to have other partitions on it.

-- Ogelthorpe is right: the 850 has a mixed reputation, for whatever it is worth, but this has mainly to do with the slow write problem and the trim command vulnerability

-- Do not use Trim: it can cause timing issues in the Disk Controller - the Garbage Collection.

-- Trim: If you installed it: a. when you have used the trimforce command, use the trimforce disable command to undo it, then restart. b. if you used an app, undo it, uninstall the app, remove it from the SystemPreferences->Users&Groups->LoginItems, then restart (there will remain leftovers).

-- If you want to be absolutely sure that the GarbageCollection works as good as can be: Partition but leave about 20-30GB unallocated (unformatted) on the disk.

Dec 31, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks all... Seems that it is a known problem. The SSD is actually working fine mounted on my Lenovo Thinkpad running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 (fstrim seems to be handling the job wonderfully).

Since this is a non-retina macbook from mid 2012... I think I'll scavenge it and use it's parts for 9mm target practicing and check if I get better results than Sun hardware had to offer 🙂

Samsung EVO 850 SSD on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.