Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop Photos from automatically importing

I connected my camera to my computer, and Photos immediately started importing pictures. How do I stop this? I don't see anything in the preferences to accomplish this.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 31, 2015 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2015 6:49 AM

When the Import panel in Photos opens, you should see a checkmark in the toolbar "Open Photos for the device". Disable this checkmark and Photos should not open again for this camera (until you reformat the card).

The automatic launch can only be disabled for each camera separately.

You may want to try this fix: This Terminal command will disable the auto start of any photo application, not just Photos.

• Quit Photos and disconnect any camera.
  • Open a Terminal and paste this command into it and hit return:

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

Restart the Mac . it should not be necessary, but it only worked for me after restarting.

I found this fix in a post by JadedEye (to léonie)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7176882?answerId=29506561022#29506561022

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Nancy Blazis

When the Import panel in Photos opens, you should see a checkmark in the toolbar "Open Photos for the device". Disable this checkmark and Photos should not open again for this camera (until you reformat the card).

The automatic launch can only be disabled for each camera separately.

You may want to try this fix: This Terminal command will disable the auto start of any photo application, not just Photos.

• Quit Photos and disconnect any camera.
  • Open a Terminal and paste this command into it and hit return:

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

Restart the Mac . it should not be necessary, but it only worked for me after restarting.

I found this fix in a post by JadedEye (to léonie)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7176882?answerId=29506561022#29506561022

How to stop Photos from automatically importing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.