Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the software on the remote computer appears to be incompatible with this version of screen sharing

Hi,

I use Apple Remote Desktop (ver 3.8) from a MacBook Pro 15 retina to access an iMAC 27 5k. I get the following error message

"Connection failed to "iMac_5K".

The software on the remote computer appears to be incompatible with this version of Screen Sharing.

macbook pro screen resolution is 1920x1200

iMac 5K resolution is 3200x1800

Thanks!

TomP

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Dec 31, 2015 1:14 PM

6 replies

Nov 25, 2016 3:58 PM in response to KiltedTim

Oh come on - what kind of reply is that?

Remote desktop is a piece of software that should let you remote control one computer from another - not just one with the same version of the software.

On Windows you can remote control any computer from Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, and Server 2000, Server 2003, 2003R2, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2012R2, and 2016 - all of these versions can remote-control any version of each other with Remote Desktop without any problems.

Shouldn't MacOS at least be as good as Windows? Everyone claims it is MUCH better, and in many ways it is. But when it comes to ARD, MacOS is stone age.

Jan 14, 2016 12:41 PM in response to KiltedTim

Hi KiltedTim,

The Remote Desktop seems buggy - after 2 weeks' 'coincidently' success of accessing from macbook pro retina to a iMac 5K, it starts connection failure again today for same machines without any new updates - I try to update Remote Desktop on Ratina from App Store, it shows 3.8 is the latest. From the control console, it shows various sub-version - like 3.8.5, 3.8.3, along with 3.8.

Remote Desktop needs to be compatible and elastic, and do not let users scratch head to drill any fixes by error-and-trial again and again....

Thanks,

TomUser uploaded file

Jan 20, 2016 7:28 PM in response to KiltedTim

this issue never gets resolved. Is there an online tutorial video to demo basic configurations to get Apple Remote Desktop working?

VNC is such simple and beautiful to use; while ARD is weirdly awkward. In past weeks, I only got it work three times after reboot. The error messages give you no clues how to change configuration to get ARD working.

As ARD is the only remote desktop tool for lower resolution mac to access higher resolution screen. I hope someone from Apple can give us a simple yet accurate answer on how to set up Apple Remote Desktop access.

Thanks,

Jan 21, 2016 1:09 AM in response to KiltedTim

User uploaded file

ARD is really a nightmare now - after many times trials, got a retina notebook connected to a iMac 5k finally - but the screen turns into fuzzy and blur like VNC does via accessing high res from low res machine - I had ARD working by showing full color before, only a couple of times.

ARD tool seems breaking Apple HW/SW design philosophy - simplification and minimalism - THIS TOOL IS SO COMPLICATED AND CONVOLUTED...

I SPEND ONE FIFTH OF MY WORKING TIME TRYING TO BRING UP ARD.... SOS

the software on the remote computer appears to be incompatible with this version of screen sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.