Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac Cannot Use iMessage Unless To An iPhone...

This is really strange.

For ages, I was sending text messages using iMessage to my cousin who does not have any Mac devices including her phone.

It seems like perhaps since upgrading to El Capitan, I can no longer send to her. I get a "MESSAGE NOT DELIVERED" result after sending a text.

However, if I send a message to another family member...one who has an iPhone, it sends just fine.

While this shows that perhaps my Mac has good taste, I'd rather be able to send an iMessage no matter what the recipient is using.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Posted on Dec 31, 2015 5:10 PM

1 reply

Jan 2, 2016 9:18 AM in response to Tom Hartman1

Hi,

I take it you mean that you think your iPhone and Mac using the Apple ID are set up for Text Forwarding which should let the Mac send green bubbled SMS Messages to the iPhone to send via it's carrier service to non Apple phones but that you can send blue bubble iMessages to known iPhone numbers.

I would check the Settings on the iPhone > Settings > Messages > Text Forwarding and check your Mac is listed and Selected to do this.

If it is and it is still not working turn the text Forwarding Option Off and then wait for a period (about two mins at least).

When you turn it On again the open to link to the Mac should need resetting which causes the Code Number panel to reappear on the Mac version.

You might have to try several times to ensure the pop up with the Code number appears.

Enter the new Code back on to the iPhone.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

5:17 pm Saturday; January 2, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

My iMac Cannot Use iMessage Unless To An iPhone...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.