Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pretty old mac, wont update? and i dont have the app store

So i have this mac 10 6 8 version, white bulky one i bought in 2011 from west computers ( refurnished )

I recently been using it a lot more and bought this Norton security thing ( I bought norton when i first got it but subscription ended a long time ago).

Downloaded and tried to instal but it says i need version mac os x? tried looking into the update thing and it says i do not need one. I seen a few people post about downloading something about the new lion? I tried opening my app store and it had a question mark, so i deleted it thinking i could re download it, but i can't find it anywhere.

what do i do??

another question, a few months ago it was saying my disk memory is full so i purchased a memory thing for my pictures and put honestly over 5,000 pictures off my device to that thing. deleted and it still said it was full?

Thank you for your time.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 31, 2015 9:42 PM

4 replies

Jan 1, 2016 7:43 AM in response to hjcard

I would advise against installing the Norton software. It isn't required and sometimes interferes with the computer's OS.

Try opening the App Store from your Applications folder.

If it isn't there, try the combo update.

10.6.8 Combo Updater

If it still isn't there, you will need to reinstall the OS. Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot off the DVD and run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS.

When you reboot, use Setup Assistant to restore your data.

Disk Space - Free Up

Disk Space – Free Up (2)

Disk Space Filling Up – OmniDiskSweeper

Disk Space Filling Up - WhatSize

Jan 1, 2016 9:43 AM in response to hjcard

Norton Antivirus (made by Symantec) has a very long and illustrious reputation for mangling Mac OS X systems, sometimes to the point where a complete reinstall is necessary. Among other things, it installs kernel extensions which are known to cause kernel panics and system freezes; it contains known and documented bugs which can silently corrupt Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign files, destroy a user's ability to authenticate as an administrator, and (on PPC systems) can cause Classic to stop functioning; and Symantec has on at least two occasions now released flawed .dat file updates which erroneously report certain critical Mac OS X files as "viruses." (Deleting these "viruses" causes damage to the system that in some cases renders it unbootable.)

Norton has also been reported as damaging iPhone backups.

A major security flaw in Norton has also been noted:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/05/08/contentious.utility.ignored.apple.guideli nes.created.zero.day.exploit.128538/

Norton Removal Tool (Symantec Uninstaller):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103489&locale =en_US

Jan 1, 2016 9:53 AM in response to hjcard

hjcard wrote:

a few months ago it was saying my disk memory is full so i purchased a memory thing for my pictures and put honestly over 5,000 pictures off my device to that thing. deleted and it still said it was full?

Did you also delete them from your iPhoto and empty IPhoto's Trash?

AFA Norton, I believe Klaus is being too kind!

Jan 1, 2016 10:10 PM in response to hjcard

So i have this mac 10 6 8 version, white bulky one i bought in 2011 from west computers ( refurnished )

That doesn't really identify your Mac model. Click on the Apple Menu's, "About This Mac," System Report to identify your Mac Model.

10.6.8 is a version of OS X software, not a model of a Mac.

pretty old mac, wont update? and i dont have the app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.