Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro Smart Keyboard volume control key

Which key controls volume when using the iPad Pro smart keyboard?

iPad Pro Smart Keyboard

Posted on Jan 1, 2016 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2017 6:24 AM

15Aug17. I have just phoned Apple Support. Apparently to change the volume you press Cmd and - or +

10 replies

Aug 24, 2017 1:52 PM in response to kborchard

24Aug17

Exactly what is the answer to this one ? Apple have told me the volume on the iPad Pro can be changed on the attached smart keyboard by pressing Cmd and + or -. If this is not the case the volume can only be changed by detaching the smart keyboard and pressing the difficult buttons on the base of the iPad Pro. This is enought to put me off buying the iPad Pro with the NOT SO SMART KEYBOARD? and I will not be buying it until if and when Apple redesign the smart keyboard so that the volume can be changed on the attached keyboard.

Surely there are enough iPad pros with the smart keyboard attached being used for someone to kindly post an answer to this please.

Aug 24, 2017 2:05 PM in response to mvgerb

Just spent 45 minutes with Apple support, they seem to have no clue, I am trying again tomorrow. I am trying to use it with an iMac, the keyboard is brand new and letters work but the function keys are useless and I have no way to control volume. They wanted me to come to the Genius Bar but I refused, saying this is a common issue online, they need to figure out how it is to be configured. Might be sending this back despite loving the attached numeric pad!

Aug 25, 2017 1:22 AM in response to kborchard

25Aug17 Thank you, interesting what you say about Apple not knowing. I have a Mac book Pro which of course has its own keyboard with dedicated volume adjusting buttons. I am not familiar with the iMac but it appears one has a seperate keyboard which I would have thought has its own dedicated volume keys. It is the iPad Pro I had intended to buy but am holding off until I know definitely the answer to the problem of adjusting the audio volume by keys on the smart keyboard. How else is anyone going to adjust this without detaching the Smart Keyboard and use the buttons on the base of the iPad Pro. These buttons are fiddley and on my iPad Air Two I end up messing up what I am looking at on the screen ! Perhaps people who own an iPad Pro are not bothered about adjusting the volume. Or depend on what they are viewing to have a slider volume adjusting bar on the screen. Or just put up with a too loud or too soft volume .

I would like to find someone who has an iPad Pro to find out the answer to this one please ? Surely Apple cannot have overlooked this important control :-/ :-((

Aug 31, 2017 8:07 AM in response to Leverel

31stAugust2017 Amazingly simple ! I called at PC World yesterday and tried out an iPad Pro. The cmd plus + or - do NOT control the volume as Apple Support said. In fact nothing on the smart keyboard will control volume. The volume physical buttons are on the iPad Pro on the top edge out of sight. One has to feel where they are. The first bump one feels with the finger is the up volume and the second bump along is the down volume. In my opinion totally unsatisfactory as I found my thumb touching the screen which completely messed up the picture on the screen. It is a real thumbs down on the iPad Pro and I shall not be replacing my iPad Air two with the iPad Pro.

Dec 15, 2017 8:51 AM in response to mvgerb

there does not seem to be a volume control key on the smart keyboard. I’m running the latest version of iOS 11.2.1 -

there are only about 6 commands that actually work. Sound is not one of them. With the protective covering option, it’s not convenient to use the buttons on the edge of the iPad Pro 10.5.. I set up a virtual button that is moveable. It shows up on the screen. It is meant for disabled individuals. Hopefully in the future this keyboard will have more functionality than typing.

IPad Pro Smart Keyboard volume control key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.