Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i use a 4k display on mac mini

I got a new mac mini last May 2015 from the Apple Store. I want to get a larger display with 4k resolution. Before I get one I want to make sure my mac mini will accept the 4k resolution and where do I connect it to, HDMI port or can I use the Thunderbolt2 port (which I know nothing about). I believe that the HDMI video output offers Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz. I have seen cables identified as "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter 4K". I am not sure if a "mini DisplayPort" is something different than the thunderbolt port?

Can anyone help me before I get the 4K monitor?

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2016 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 10:57 AM

Check the specs on the display. Some do not provide the same resolution on all ports.

Try to avoid using any adapters. If the display has DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort, connect it to the Mac's Thunderbolt port with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort cable.

If using HDMI, go directly from the Mac's HDMI port with a high quality cable.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2016 10:57 AM in response to dougnourse

Check the specs on the display. Some do not provide the same resolution on all ports.

Try to avoid using any adapters. If the display has DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort, connect it to the Mac's Thunderbolt port with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort cable.

If using HDMI, go directly from the Mac's HDMI port with a high quality cable.

can i use a 4k display on mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.