Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anybody using two-factor authentication yet?

According to Apple's document HT204915, two-factor authentication will become available to some unspecified number of users "starting this fall" and then phase in gradually for more and more of us. Since the article has been around for a few months, that means sometime between Sep 21 and Dec 21, 2015 (although it is now Jan 2, 2016, and the document has not been revised on account of the calendar). For me, System Preferences says it is still unavailable. Is it available to anybody? How is it working?

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11), and MacBook Pro (Late 2013)

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 2:29 AM

6 replies

Jan 2, 2016 1:47 PM in response to Bill Cheeseman

I had the exact same question. With my account, I had turned on Two-Step verification when that system first came online. I had been waiting to switch to Two-Factor authentication, but was never presented with the option to turn it on. Anyway, I called Apple and they said that both were available for my account. Based on this, I turned off Two-Step verification and was then allowed to turn on Two-Factor authentication.

Not sure if you're in the same boat, or if what I wrote makes any sense. But, hope this helps.

Feb 2, 2016 8:03 AM in response to Chattanoogan

I have been using 2-step verification on my Apple devices for more than a year. Periodically, I would disable 2SV and check whether I was eligible for two-factor authentication. Until today, my Apple ID wasn't eligible

Here's what I did today to enable 2FA

1. Disable two-step verification at https://appleid.apple.com

2. After disabling 2SV, I added my security questions and tapped "Done". Logged out of https://appleid.apple.com/

3. Turned off iPhone and iPad devices. Logged out of www.icloud.com. Did not turn off macbook pro

4. Waited about 10 minutes

5. Launched iCloud settings from the System Preferences app on Macbook Pro

6. Tapped Account Details and Security

7. Two-Factor Authentication now available as an option

8. Tapped on enable and following the setup prompts

9. Turned on iPhone and iPad devices

Jun 26, 2018 1:07 AM in response to Bill Cheeseman

I'm not using 2-step verification but for some reason the option for 2FA isn't showing on either of my devices even though they've been updated with iOS 9.3

Mar 21, 2016 6:06 PM in response to Community User

My wife has an iPhone and iPad and two factor issues two warnings when trying to enable it. First it says that not all devices may be eligible for two factor, but in fact both devices were updated to 9.3 in the general release today. So I continue and then it says there's not a valid credit card on file for her, yet she is listed as an adult under the family plan with me as the owner.

Any ideas on this? I had to re-enable two step until this is resolved.

Is anybody using two-factor authentication yet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.