Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite 10.10.1 imovie 10.10.5 upgrade inquiry

I have Yosemite (10.10.1) and would like to download iMovie (the version is 10.1) from the app store however it says that 10.10.5 or later is required. I tried the Yosemite combo update but it said that 10.10.5 was required. I believe that is El Captain. I can get a free upgrade through the app store but am a little concerned because my macbook pro (15",2.4/2.2GHz, early 2008 (got in January of that year),2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, is well, old and I was advised to stick with Yosemite, only because it was a hassle after I stupidly tried to get back Mountain Lion after realizing that iMovie HD 6 does not function properly.

I watched a tutorial on iMovie 10.10.1 and I actually like the layout and am excited to try it out (I figured I better get with the times. Technology is constantly evolving),

can I still use 10.10.1 (Yosemite) or do I have to upgrade freely and if I do is there a risk that my computer might not work?

any help/ advice is appreciated it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 11:50 AM

9 replies

Jan 2, 2016 1:04 PM in response to smileeyes

With light to moderate usage running 10.10.5, I use 6gig of memory.

You should be able to use the app store.app to update. I recall that there was an 10.10.5 update button in app store.

You should add more memory. Max out the memory. OWC or crucial is recommended here. People have found that you can get 6gig in the machine.

give OWC a call. max might be 8gig.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade

User uploaded file

Jan 2, 2016 5:55 PM in response to smileeyes

I haven't tried this but...

You could rename or make a copy of your existing iMovie.

Make a copy of all of your films or create new account.

Download the new iMovie and see how it goes.

I've done this, but not for iMovie.

Do you have a complete backup of your system. " a good thing". Make a backup of your system. Download iMovie and see how it goes.

"Clone, synchronize, backup. Schedule and forget it."

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

"SuperDuper is the wildly acclaimed program that makes recovery painless, because it makes creating a fully bootable backup painless."

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/ME3QH7T1.0/?utm_source= google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=CJ7F7b3EjMoCFYEmH wodyiEHcg

R

Jan 2, 2016 7:20 PM in response to smileeyes

You do not want to run any newer OS (Yosemite or El Capitan) with only 2 GB of RAM, especially if you intend to edit video. 4 GB of RAM is generally considered to be a minimum, but for movie work, you should consider more than that. Apparently yours will allow up to 6 GB. So, I'd seriously consider getting more RAM (you can get a 6 GB kit from OWC (macsales.com).

iMovie 10.1 requires 10.10.5 or later which is the most current version of Yosemite. El Capitan is 10.11.x. Also remember that older Macs with slower processors and older hardware will not run the latest OS versions as well as a new optimized machine.

Jan 3, 2016 9:51 AM in response to smileeyes

Try running the combo update.

10.10.5 Combo Update

The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the RAM. OWC has also tested RAM above what Apple states is the maximum. I now have 6GB installed on a early 2008 iMac supposedly limited to 4 GB and noticed an improvement.

Crucial

Other World Computing

Yosemite 10.10.1 imovie 10.10.5 upgrade inquiry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.