Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri not working on ios 9.2 iphone 5s

Hi everybody,

I am having some problems with Siri.

She works when I use my Apple headset.

She does not work when I use the phone alone, without the headset.

I tried a full reset, after which VoiceMail worked. I then enabled Siri, no chance.

I found quit a lot of hits about this, and I am absolutely sure she worked a few days ago.

Voice Mail works, as does Audio / Voice Recorder. WhatsApp works and can record

audio as well.

Even after a hard reset, no Siri, except via headset.

This makes me think that one of the microphones is dead, and Siri uses just this one.

Now, which one is it, and how can I check the microphones one by one ?

kind regards,

Carsten

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 11:52 AM

3 replies

Jan 2, 2016 1:20 PM in response to Durango2k

Hi,

If I'm correct, you're having problems with Siri. Siri only works when you use your Apple headset. Even after resetting your iPhone 5s, Siri still doesn't work. You've even tried testing your voicemail, your audio, and voice recorder as well as WhatsApp.

If this is the case, here are some solutions:

• Make sure you're connected to a Wifi or cellular network
  • Make sure your home button is working so you can open Siri.
  • Make sure Siri is turned on

Go to Settings > General > Siri

• Restart your iOS device:
    • Press and hold on the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears
    • When the red slider appears, drag it to completely power off your iPhone
    • Once the device is powered off, press and hold on the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
  • Turn Siri off and on again

Go to Settings > General > Siri and turn off Siri, then turning Siri on again.

• Check to make sure no protective accessories or cases are blocking the microphones
  • Please note - Siri will only chime if you have Hey Siri and have Hey Siri activated under your phones settings, and if you use Hey Siri. Siri only chimes on the iPod Touch and iPads running iOS 9. On iPhones running iOS 9 Siri will vibrate instead.

If none of the steps work above, follow the guide written by Apple:

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

I hope this helps 🙂

Jan 2, 2016 1:33 PM in response to Coolbobcat2

Hi,

I tried all of the above. No luck. Wish there would be an Apple-App to check all the hardware

one-by-one in your phone, resulting in a clear advice which part is dead.

I found some websites state that Siri uses the lower mic, next to the lightning connector.

I guess the other apps like voice recorder use either different mics or more then just one.

So I just shelled out 8 Euros for a spare replacement part and 15 Euros for an iSclack to open

my 5s, and will swap the mic / connector for a new one.

Wish me luck, but I feel this is the problem here.

Besides, I do have some repair experience with

a dozen or so 4 and a few 4s, I even saved my own 4 after a short swim in a seaside pool in Miami.

Took it to bits using a Walmart eye glasses screwdriver made-to-fit using my wifes fingernail file,

rinsed it lengthy, blew/sucked it dry, left it 3 days in parts in our Hyundai car on the rear board,

put it all together and it worked ... Still does today. I was in fear of loosing all our US tour pics,

but even the display was ok after it dried completely. Very solid thing, and not-hard-to-repair, the 4.

carsten

Jan 7, 2016 12:52 PM in response to Durango2k

Solved, at least partially:

a) the main micro, on the lower end of the phone, is not used for Siri. It was / is not defective in my case, so it stayed there untouched.

b) the front micro, hidden behind the black glass, was defective. After I swapped it (it comes together with the front camera and the proximity sensor, and is a bit fiddly), Siri instantly worked / came back to life. Also, the loudspeaker mode (make a phone call with the phone not on your ear) now works - I did only notice it when testing before that it was dead, because I don't really use it often).

c) still missing is the rear microphone. When recording a film with the front camera, I now have sound, see b) -it was not there before.

When using the rear camera, no sound. So, I have to swap the rear flex cable as well. Ouch, this is described as "difficult".

So, the conclusion is: How to find out which microphone is dead on your iphone 5s:

- lower mic: standard phone call, or voice control (non Siri).

- Front mic: Siri, and hands-free operation, take moovie with front camera

- Rear mic: take moovie with rear camera, and if no sound, dead mic.

Carsten

Siri not working on ios 9.2 iphone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.