Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP17" in Clamshell Mode with El Cap with Nothing Attached?

Rather than keeping my older but otherwise fully functional MBP17" with the lid cracked open on the desk to enable its functionality as a drone running the awesome SpamSieve program, I'd prefer to put it into one of the beautiful BookArc stands in clamshell mode. With the lid cracked open, everything runs great 24/7 with Energy Saver settings of "Computer Sleep" = "Never" and "Display Sleep" = "3 minutes". However, when I shut the lid the machine goes to sleep in ~30 seconds (the small white light in the right front of the machine goes from "off" with the lid open to continuously "on" immediately after the lid is closed to blinking/pulsing after half a minute), even if I am running SleepLess or Insomniax.

I would love to find a way to close the lid and put my machine in the BookArc, with the Display slept but the CPU running to enable SpamSieve Drone function 24/7. Can anyone help?

Thank you very much!!!

Setup:

Running El Cap 10.11.2 on a 17" MacBook Pro (Early 2009).

There is no additional software running on the machine besides Mail 9.2 and SpamSieve 2.9.23 and the two attempts at sleep solutions listed below.

The only external cable plugged into the computer is the power cord, nothing else.

Software solutions:

• SleepLess 2.9
  • Insomniax 2.1.8
  • OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 2:31 PM

4 replies

Jan 2, 2016 2:56 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy:

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply; much appreciated!

I'm pretty ignorant about computers, but from what (little) I understand, I can go into Clamshell mode WITH an external display attached. However, to run the MBP17" as a drone computer solely for spam filtering, I'd like to put it into Clamshell mode WITHOUT an external display attached.

Do you know if this is possible??? I tried the two software solutions listed but they don't seem to work. I'm guessing that this is because they have not been updated for ElCap, but I don't know that.

Mucho Gracias.

Jan 2, 2016 3:09 PM in response to Kappy

That's the rub. I don't really need/want to attach an external display to the MBP17", since I'd like to just put it in clamshell mode and hide it away on the vertical stand and then never touch the machine again unless there is a problem. But, other than the two software programs noted, it seems that everything I come across, including the two links you list, requires one to attach an external monitor. I guess I could buy a really cheap second hand monitor and attach it, but then I'm burning electricity and taking up desk space for something I don't need, so I'm looking for a different solution that doesn't require the monitor. Will keep head scratching! But thanks again for your interest.

MBP17" in Clamshell Mode with El Cap with Nothing Attached?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.