Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to digitize vinyl.

Hello,

I would like to digitize my vinyl collection which consists mainly in electronic music.

My setup is the following:

- 2 Technics 1210 MK2

- Ortofon Concorde DJ E Cartridges (Frequency range at -3dB - 20-22.000 Hz, Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz +/-2 dB)

- Pioneer DJM-500 mixer

- Mac Pro 2010 (2x12core, 32Gb RAM, ...)

- VinylStudio V8.8

I started with some test recordings by simply connecting my mixer to the line in at my Mac Pro and recording WAV at 24bit and 96kHz. I am in doubt about two areas: Cartridges and how to connect my turntable to my Mac Pro. Obviously this is the place to ask the later.

Can I keep my setting or should I get an external Audiointerface instead of using the line in? I read on other forums that some people have to buy amps, usb-turntables, etc., but since I already have a very good mixer and turntable I was wondering if I need a Phonopreamp/analog-digital converter (ADC)?

I hope someone can give me a hand!

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Server 5.0.4

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 9:57 AM

You didn't tell us how the experiment worked?

If it was acceptable, be happy.

If the audio levels were way low, you'll need a pre-amp to boost the phonograph's signal.

If the audio is noisy, you'll need a third party Analog/Digital converter.

I transfer my vinyl records this way -

Turntable > Amplifier with phono preset (aka phono preamp) > line out > Mackie Onyx 1220i firewire mixer (which acts as Analog/Digital converter) > firewire 400 > MacPro.

This works for a much cleaner sound for two reasons - first, the turntable signal is boosted through a dedicated pre-amp circuit and second, the A/D conversion is being handled by the Mackie, which does a greatly superior job compared to Apple's noisy onboard A/D converter.

Good luck.

x

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2016 9:57 AM in response to stephan (Germany)

You didn't tell us how the experiment worked?

If it was acceptable, be happy.

If the audio levels were way low, you'll need a pre-amp to boost the phonograph's signal.

If the audio is noisy, you'll need a third party Analog/Digital converter.

I transfer my vinyl records this way -

Turntable > Amplifier with phono preset (aka phono preamp) > line out > Mackie Onyx 1220i firewire mixer (which acts as Analog/Digital converter) > firewire 400 > MacPro.

This works for a much cleaner sound for two reasons - first, the turntable signal is boosted through a dedicated pre-amp circuit and second, the A/D conversion is being handled by the Mackie, which does a greatly superior job compared to Apple's noisy onboard A/D converter.

Good luck.

x

Best way to digitize vinyl.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.