Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch can't open Facebook Messenger!

I tried to reset it and repaired it but it still did not work.

I also tried reinstalling it.

Has anyone had the same experience?

watchOS 2.1

Apple Watch, watchOS 2.1, null

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2017 12:43 PM

Hi I can’t use fb messenger on Apple Watch. Have tried your suggestion but there is no settings icon in messenger on my phone and Apple Watch isn’t listed so I can’t change to default messages. Any help welcomed

25 replies

Jan 12, 2018 10:55 PM in response to louislab

Hi louislab,

I’ve got the exact same issue. Including the missing “Apple Watch” in the iPhone Messenger app. I have tried un-installing the apps on my watch (S3) and iPhone (X) and also unpairing my watch completely but with no success. All I get is the spinning loading wheel that goes on forever. I can still get Messenger notifications through the watch. I also tried changing my Facebook privacy settings but nothing happened.

Cheers,

Lars

User uploaded file

Feb 21, 2018 10:39 AM in response to FangX

1. On your iPhone, open the Messenger app
  2. Access the Settings page and tap on Apple Watch
  3. Change the default replies to anything you want and then close the app
  4. Now go back to Settings > Apple Watch and delete the entry that you changed
  5. Again, close the app on your iPhone
  6. Open Facebook Messenger on your Apple Watch, and all your messages should be there, fully loaded.

Jan 9, 2018 1:54 PM in response to Jonathan UK

It is happening on my series 3, which brand new (all of about 2 weeks old) -- Messenger has never worked, always getting the spinning wheel of doom...

I have tried all steps listed in your post, neither fix works for me unfortunately.

Also, I attempted the popular solution below (setting and unsetting default replies); however the Apple Watch button disappears in the Messenger application, making it impossible to proceed. This occurs even after an uninstall > reboot of both watch and phone > re-install.

Definitely a bug somewhere; can't just be my watch?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 3, 2016 2:12 AM in response to FangX

Hi

If you have not yet done so, it may help to update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software versions (presently iOS 9.2 and watchOS 2.1):

Then try the following steps, trying to open the app after each:

• Place your Apple Watch on its charger with power connected and also connect your iPhone to power.
  • On your iPhone: open the Music app and start playing a song (through your iPhone speakers is fine).
  • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > scroll down and tap on the name of the app that won't open > turn off the option for Show App on Apple Watch > pause for a few moments > turn the option back on off, then back on.

If that does not resolve the issue, next unpair and re-pair your watch:

More information:

Get help with apps on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Jan 24, 2016 12:34 PM in response to FangX

This is what worked for me...

1. On your phone, open Messenger.

2. Go to Settings at the lower right of the screen

3. Go to Apple Watch

4. Change one of the "Default Replies" to anything you want

5. Go back to settings by touching "<Settings"

6. Go to Apple Watch again

7. Delete the entry you changed

8. Go back to settings

9. Close the Messenger App on your phone

10. Open the Messenger App on your watch and it should load all messages

This is what worked for me... I'm not sure how or why, but nothing else worked and I wasn't about to delete anything or reset my phone. Hope this helps!

Apple Watch can't open Facebook Messenger!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.