Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to rent a movie on iTunes and it won't play bec it says it hasn't been downloaded. But I can't find where or how it downloads it.

Trying to rent a movie on iTunes and it won't play bec it says it hasn't been downloaded. But I can't find where or how it downloads it.

Posted on Jan 2, 2016 8:48 PM

1 reply

Jan 4, 2016 7:53 AM in response to Jeddye1234

Hi Jeddye1234,

I can't tell from your post what device you are trying to rent a movie on, but the resource below explains the process for all devices.

About renting movies from the iTunes Store

You can rent movies through the iTunes store on your computer or iOS device. To rent movies, you need:

To find movies available for rent, browse the iTunes Store and look for movies with a Rent button.

When you click Rent, your movie downloads. Download time depends on the speed of your Internet connection.

Your rental will be charged to the credit card associated with your Apple ID. You can also use iTunes Store credit to rent movies.

Watch rented movies

Watch movies on the following devices:

• A Mac or PC.
  • An iPhone, iPad, iPod touch (with iOS 3.1.3 or later).
  • An iPod classic or iPod nano (3rd, 4th, or 5th generation).
  • A TV through Apple TV.

If you rented the movie on your computer, but want to watch it on an iOS device, connect the devices and sync using USB. When you move a rented movie from your computer, it will disappear from your computer’s iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as often as you want, but you can only have it on one device at a time.

If you rented the movie on your iOS device or Apple TV, you can’t move it to any other device.

To watch an HD movie, you need to play it on a supported device: your computer, iPhone 4 or later, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or TV using Apple TV.

You can also stream a rented movie from your computer or your iOS device to your Apple TV using AirPlayafter it’s fully downloaded.

Find movies you rented previously

Find your movie on the device you used to rent it.

• On a Mac or PC: Go to the Rentals tab in the Movies section of the iTunes Library.
  • On an iOS device: Go to the Rental tab of the Videos app.
  • Using Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation): Look in the top shelf of the main menu.

Top Movie Rentals on the iTunes Store

iTunes Store: Movie rental usage rights in the United States

Happy Holidays To You!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.