Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leopard OS X 10.5. Download

Hello Guys,

i have an old IMAC G5 20" isight and i want to install OS X 10.5 but i cant find Leopard 10.5. for download or buying.

I find only torrent, so my question is, is it legal to download via torrent because the os x is very old and nowhere to buy?

Thank you for your help.

Beste Regards

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G5 Power PC

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 1:04 AM

4 replies

Jan 3, 2016 1:18 AM in response to portofilo

Leopard is no longer available from Apple. You would be very ill-advised to download it from a torrent as you stand a fair chance of getting malware along with it.

If Leopard was the system with which the Mac originally came you might be able to get the machine-specific install disk from Apple if you ring them at the number given at bottom left of this page and give them the serial number: but as Leopard has been unavailable for such a long time it's quite possible they can no longer supply it.

Otherwise if you are trying to up grade it your only hope would be to try Ebay or similar for a copy of the retail install disk. I've no idea whether there are likely to be any still floating about.

Jan 3, 2016 12:11 PM in response to portofilo

Actually Tiger's pretty good, but both or so old that there have been no security updates for years, and you will find that some websites simply don't work. However for straightforward emailing and writing Tiger is fine. I don't know that you will see a lot of improvement in Leopard though there may be the odd application which will work with that and not Tiger.

If you do buy on eBay make sure you get the 'retail version', not the Mac-specific disks which were bundled with new Macs and which won't work on any other version of Mac. I don't know whether it applies this far back, but it used to be that the Mac-specific disks were grey and the retail disks were black.

Leopard OS X 10.5. Download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.