Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to replace hard drive with a SSD on a MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011 model A1286

Hello,

I would like to replace the hard drive on my MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011 model A1286 with an solid state drive (SSD). First, I'd like to know if this is possible. Second, what is the best way to do this? I am running the Yosemite OS if that makes a difference.

Here are some technical details of my current system:

- MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011 model A1286

- Yosemite OS

- 16GB Memory/RAM

- Currently using the stock HD

Any step-by-step instructions would be helpful along with what software I should use for making backups of my current OS (e.g. SuperDuper). I'd also like to know what tools and/or equipment I will need such as screwdriver type, cables for transferring data to the SSD, etc. My goal is to not have to reinstall each app one-by-one on the SSD, but if that's the only way to do it then that's okay.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 10:48 AM

You can see step-by-step instructions from OWC here. Necessary tools are mentioned in the discussion (I used a plastic picnic knife with the sharpest edge somewhat dulled for the nylon pry tool). I'd suggest investing in one of these external enclosures. Install the SSD in that and clone the internal to the external with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Then switch the external drive for the internal drive after booting from the SSD in the external to confirm proper operation.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2016 10:48 AM in response to Alyce.B.Heinz

You can see step-by-step instructions from OWC here. Necessary tools are mentioned in the discussion (I used a plastic picnic knife with the sharpest edge somewhat dulled for the nylon pry tool). I'd suggest investing in one of these external enclosures. Install the SSD in that and clone the internal to the external with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Then switch the external drive for the internal drive after booting from the SSD in the external to confirm proper operation.

How to replace hard drive with a SSD on a MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011 model A1286

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.