Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod 5th gen wont let me restore after forgetting password

so last night as i was half asleep, i thought it was a good idea to change my ipods password. i have since forgotten it and so i went to the support page and followed the steps as to how to restore it. i tried to restore using itunes, and once it finished (i guess) my ipod did not revert back to factory settings as it was supposed to and i still didnt have the right password. so i tried to restore it using icloud, but apparently as i was restoring using itunes, it turned off my wifi and it will not allow my to roll up the little quick access thing to turn on my wifi from the lock screen without my passcode. so i tried to use itunes again, but i got an error saying "there was an problem downloading the software for the ipod "ipod". an unkown error occurred (-39). make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is alive, or try again later" and my wifi is on on my laptop that im connecting it to, but as i said, my wifi is not on on my ipod, which it might be referring to. so i am just really, really, frustrated right now because i cant fix this and i need to fix this

iPod touch, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 11:28 AM

1 reply

Jan 3, 2016 12:39 PM in response to actualghoul

Try:

- Powering off and then back on your router.

- iTunes for Windows: iTunes cannot contact the iPhone, iPad, or iPod software update server

- Change the DNS to either Google's or Open DNS servers

Public DNS — Google Developers

OpenDNS IP Addresses

- For one user uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes resolved the problem

- Try on another computer/network

- Wait if it is an Apple problem

ipod 5th gen wont let me restore after forgetting password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.