Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt keeps crashing under Windows 10 Professional

I have an mid-2012 rMBP (A1398 EMC2512), which I

• reformated
  • installed El Capitan
  • installed Windows 10 Pro w/Bootcamp.

Everything completed and is running well most of the time.

However, I also run a Cinema display in my setup, and the Thunderbolt keeps crashing every now and then, so I lose Wired internet, external mouse/keyboard, decent sound etc. It's really not a usable situation, as this is my work machine.

Anyone experiencing the same issue, or know a fix for it? I have all the latest updates for both El Capitan and Windows 10.

Thanks!

--

.marius

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 10, A1398 EMC2512 + Cinema display

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 12:50 PM

3 replies

Jul 24, 2017 11:10 PM in response to mstormo

The same problem started for me today after windows 10 installed updates yesterday 7-24-17. No problems with thunderbolt till now. Tried going back to an earlier build and all, but no success. Tried updating to the latest windows 10 creative whatever, and no success. Took out the thunderbolt cable and put in a usb 3, which was an external hd option, and no more crashing of windows 10 problems. It was also unable to repair itself and needed to be shutdown completely to restart without the thunderbolt cable attached.

I know its not the fix you wanted, but since they are not up to sending us the fix needed on the imac bootcamp issue, I had to be creative and figure out why the system was crashing whenever I would turn on my raid g-tec drive with thunderbolt. Thunderbolt on bootcamp windows 10 pro has a bug that crashed the system completely, and for me seemed to arrive with the last updates to win 10, before even trying their latest 10 build.

Hope that your able to switch cables.

Happy computing, and

Aloha!

Jorge

Jan 3, 2016 1:20 PM in response to mstormo

Is Thunderbolt crashing only in Windows or in both OS X and Windows?

Your 2012 MBP should have (from MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications)

Connections and Expansion

• MagSafe power port
  • Gigabit Ethernet port
  • FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
  • Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
  • Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
  • Audio line in
  • Audio line out
  • SDXC card slot
  • Kensington lock slot
  • 8x SuperDrive

If the Cinema Display causes problem, can you test the highlighted connectors and see who they behave during/after the crash?

Jan 7, 2016 7:33 PM in response to Loner T

It seems like the Thunderbolt is crashing, as any peripheral on the Thunderbolt bus stops working, with exception of the Display itself, which I guess is not really Thunderbolt, but rather Displayport. But things like the sound, mic, ethernet, USB ports, and extra Thunderbolt port on the back of the Cinema display stops working.

The USB ports on the rMBP itself continue to work though. My mid-2012 rMBP doesn't have an ethernet port on the laptop itself, I have to go through the Cinema display for wired internet, which stops working under these circumstances, so I have to revert to WiFi, or reboot the machine.

Oddly enough, I only see an error message for the Ethernet port in the Windows Event Log when this happens, but nothing else, even if I have a keyboard and mouse hanging of the Cinema display's USB ports, as well as sound usually coming from the monitor rather than the laptop itself. I'm not sure I have been playing any sound when the issue occurs, and I guess USB it designed to disconnect at any time, so it might not show up as odd/failing events.

The details for the Ethernet failure is the following:

Level: Error

Event ID: 10317

Source: NDIS

Task Category: PnP

General:

Miniport Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, {82f3352f-29c2-4be1-a09f-a8e0261f01db}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

Details:

-System
-Provider
[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-NDIS
[ Guid]{CDEAD503-17F5-4A3E-B7AE-DF8CC2902EB9}

EventID10317
Version0
Level2
Task2
Opcode0
Keywords0x2000000000004016
-TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]2016-01-08T00:17:11.442913300Z
EventRecordID3423
-Correlation

[ ActivityID]{82F3352F-29C2-4BE1-A09F-A8E0261F01DB}
-Execution

[ ProcessID]0
[ ThreadID]0
ChannelSystem
ComputerOverload
Security
-EventData
IfGuid{82F3352F-29C2-4BE1-A09F-A8E0261F01DB}
IfIndex9
IfLuid1689399616077824
AdapterNameBroadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
MiniportEventEnum71

Thunderbolt keeps crashing under Windows 10 Professional

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.