Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Server fails to boot

Boots with no startup chime to the Apple logo and a spinning wheel. Have tried Cmd+R, but nothing happens. Help!

Mac mini, Mavericks, maybe

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 8:42 PM

14 replies

Jan 4, 2016 5:27 AM in response to Shredder2600

What model Mac Mini?

What happens if you boot with Option key depressed?

Disconnect all peripherals except monitor to see fi yo get the startup chime

Reset the SMC

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

I still not chime that indicates a hardware problem

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Jan 4, 2016 12:35 PM in response to lllaass

It's a 2009 model. The old body style, with no DVD drive. One-of-a-kind.

If I boot with the Option key depressed, I get two options. Mac Mini Server RAID and Mac Mini Server RAID 2. Both have the same issue, Apple logo and spinning wheel forever.

I disconnected all peripherals and still there was no startup chime. I didn't have the monitor plugged in but I can try again.

Resetting the SMC changed nothing.

Jan 4, 2016 12:45 PM in response to Shredder2600

Sounds like the startup disks have either hardware or software problem. Sounds like your startup disk is RAID is not realy good.

- If you have another Mac you can download the installer for a previous OSX version you previously purchased from the Purchased section of the Mac App Store and the make a bootable USB install media using

DiskMaker X

and then boot from that and see what you can do. There is Disk Utility in that.

Otherwise you will have to connect an external DVD drive and boot from Leopard or Snow Leopard install DVD.

Feb 6, 2016 9:47 AM in response to lllaass

Alright dude, more progress. I reset the NVRAM and now I get a startup chime. Prior to this, when trying to start in Safe Mode, the machine would crash. (Which also allowed me to determine what OS this is running - Mountain Lion). Now, when starting up in Safe Mode, I get a circle with a line through it. When I boot with the option key depressed, I still see both RAID volumes. Any ideas?

Feb 6, 2016 9:56 AM in response to Shredder2600

Since you said "I still see both RAID volumes". It would seem that your RAID is corrupted.

Was it a striped set or mirrored?

In a previous post you said RAID 2 and per

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

this says it is really not used

If mirrored if only one drive is corrupt then try disconnecting one and booting and then try with that other.

Feb 6, 2016 10:43 AM in response to lllaass

It seems so. Any idea why the OS X Recovery over internet isn't working? In fact, none of the situations described here Startup key combinations for Mac - Apple Support occur except for Single-User mode and Reset NVRAM.

I would like to recover the data, or at least look at things in Disk Utility? I don't have a DVD for this machine, nor does it have a DVD drive.

Jun 9, 2016 4:13 PM in response to lllaass

I should also mention that I do not hear any HDD activity, just the fan. I find it hard to believe that the HDDs are dead, because it worked only a few months ago and it has been off since then. What can I do to repair this? Is there some sort of bootable program I can load onto a thumb drive and boot of off? I know these kinds of utilities exist for Windows, but for the Mac?

Perhaps the folks at the Apple Store might be able to help. What do you think?

Mac Mini Server fails to boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.