Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does an iPad pro need a screen protector?

Does Apple recommend a screen protector for an iPad pro? I noticed the Apple Store doesn't show one. Read something about the film on the screen overtime wearing. Have also heard that a screen protector would affect the pencil/screen dynamics. I ordered a skin and a case for protection, and will be getting the keyboard soon. But thought I should ask, since I'm new to iPad.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 10:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2016 3:08 PM

I Have 5 iOS devices and every single one has a screen protector of some type whetheriuiyu built into an OtterBox case, or a Zagg InvisibleShield screen protector on it. However, my wife has an iPod Touch 4th generation that has never had a screen protector on it and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I can attest to the fact that she is not all that careful with it either. šŸ˜

IMHO, It's really matter of choice. I know plenty of iOS device users that never used screen protectors. Just be careful with it. I agree with MichelPM about the fingerprints. Years later and there is still no real improvement in the fingerprint "resistant" coating on these devices.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2016 3:08 PM in response to Doxieluvr

I Have 5 iOS devices and every single one has a screen protector of some type whetheriuiyu built into an OtterBox case, or a Zagg InvisibleShield screen protector on it. However, my wife has an iPod Touch 4th generation that has never had a screen protector on it and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I can attest to the fact that she is not all that careful with it either. šŸ˜

IMHO, It's really matter of choice. I know plenty of iOS device users that never used screen protectors. Just be careful with it. I agree with MichelPM about the fingerprints. Years later and there is still no real improvement in the fingerprint "resistant" coating on these devices.

Apr 30, 2017 8:23 AM in response to Flanua

I have an iPad pro and live it. The size, pencil integration, gush, gush, gush. But the screen is a magnet for prints and scratches. I'm actually really unimpressed that Apple haven't rolled out a more protective surface for a device designed for drawing on; in particular a device that uses a pencil that is affected by a protective service. It's a shame as it's my only gripe but it's a huge one.

Dec 9, 2017 6:24 AM in response to Doxieluvr

Iā€™m using a new 12.9ā€, and a glass screen protector I bought off ebay. Iā€™ve got the same brand of protector on all of our other devices (5 devices) and they work fine... BUT the 12.9ā€ definitely doesnā€™t like this screen protector. It worked fine for about a month, but now the screen has become very un-sensitive.... I canā€™t even scroll the window of this forum up and down on some parts of the tabletā€™s real estate. IE if I use my finger in the centre of the tablet in landscape mode, it doesnā€™t respond, but if I move my finger to the right hand side of the screen it does respond. The areas that are sensitive seem to ā€˜moveā€˜ by no reason... so when I just went to verify what Iā€™m typing, now the left hand margin wonā€™t scrolll the centre does as does the right hand side. Iā€™ve re-booted several times to see if this issue was related to something else but with no success. So, over all Iā€™m thinking Iā€™m going to remove this protector from my 12.9ā€. Itā€™s interesting that when I try scrolling with the apple pencil itā€™s always responsive, everywhere on the screen... which is how Iā€™ve been interacting with it over the past days.

Jan 8, 2018 1:09 AM in response to dtbriten

Stylii work better on iDevices with no screen protectors or thinner non-glass screen protectors.

I never use screen protectors on my iDevices.

Sensitivity issues with touch screen protector films and glass seem to run 50/50.

If you use a good protective cases and good quality stylii, there is no need for a screen protector.

If your iPad is having sensitivity issues with the screen protector, then you need to remove it and stop using screen protectors OR use thinner film screen protectors.

Feb 7, 2018 4:15 PM in response to Doxieluvr

I put an Omoton tempered glass screen protector on ipad pro 12.9 2017. Everything became sluggish, typing on screen would jump or miss loads of letters. Icons would need hard presses to activate. I kept it on for a couple of weeks, but it was driving me crazy. Took it off today and it feels like the ipad I unboxed a few weeks ago again. Iā€™d say the pencil lost a few percentage points of responsiveness too.

Jan 4, 2016 5:44 AM in response to Doxieluvr

I have never used a screen protector on any of my iDevices and I have owned several.

It's not the glass that can wear out, but the oleophobic coating that Apple coats the glass with that can wear down.

And it would take some real doing to actually scratch the glass, too!

Truth be told the coating is supposed to minimize fingerprints and finger oils on the screen glass, but I don't think the coating really does that great a job combatting this issue. Even after 5 years of using this coating on all of the screens of their mobile products.

Nov 30, 2016 6:46 PM in response to Doxieluvr

Hey, I know this might be a little late, but since I couldn't really find an answer to my question I just thought I'd share my experience. As I couldn't find a straight answer to whether or not a tempered glass screen protector would work or not with the apple pencil I decided to just go for it. I am happy to report that even with the thicker glass screen cover my apple pencil works just as is should and I honestly don't notice any difference functionally or visually. If you wanted the protection of a glass cover but were unsure about the compatibility, fear not!

Also on a side note the added benefit of using a glass cover is that it is much harder than plastic and the pencil will not leave marks on it like it may on cheaper plastic covers.

Nov 30, 2016 10:05 PM in response to MichelPM

I Have seen no difference in sensitivity, it seems to pick up the pencil with the lightest of touches just as instantaneously as before. However, now that I have inspected my Pro, the cover is about half the thickness of the glass cover on my iPhone 7 in fact its about the same thickness as the polycarbonate on my girlfriend's iPhone 6 so perhaps that is key?

I Also have a 9.7 pro as I felt I might as well bring my MBP around instead of buying a 12.9. Perhaps the smaller screen justifies thiner glass, or perhaps it is just brand. Either way I am no experiencing issues whatsoever so I guess it is still up to the consumer to take the gamble.

Does an iPad pro need a screen protector?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.