Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes search function not working iOS device...

I have a question and the answer in this post. Hopefully this will help someone else who is having this problem.

There are posts on the forum concerning the search function of the Notes app on El Capitan. I could not find my specific situation so here it is.

Perhaps code in El Capitan is causing this problem, but I did not experience the search failure in El Capitan, nor did I have a problem on two different iPads. Just my iPhone.

On my iPhone (6P) with iOS 9.2 I could not find many different notes with the Notes search function. I noticed the solution here for El Capitan and decided to try a variation on my iPhone.

Instead of deleting the notes, I used the "Move All" feature in iOS and moved them to a temp folder. I then moved them back to the Notes folder under my iCloud account and search is working once again.

Bizarre to say the least... The absence of this problem in various Google searches confused me.

BTW, I have over 600 notes and noticed that editing a note did indeed put it back in the search results, but doing a minor edit on that many notes was not appealing; so glad the move and move back worked.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2, null

Posted on Jan 4, 2016 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2016 11:16 AM

THank you for addressing this problem because I was facing the same issue with searching in Notes and could not find much information on it. I followed your steps for moving the Notes to a different folder and moving it back and the search function started to work again as it did in the past. I assume it is a glitch with one of the recent IOS updates, but regardless, Thank You!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2016 11:16 AM in response to certman

THank you for addressing this problem because I was facing the same issue with searching in Notes and could not find much information on it. I followed your steps for moving the Notes to a different folder and moving it back and the search function started to work again as it did in the past. I assume it is a glitch with one of the recent IOS updates, but regardless, Thank You!

May 3, 2016 8:53 PM in response to certman

Thanks a lot! I use notes on iPhone, iPad and MBA, and was confronted with the not-working search function on my iPad only. Since this is one of my favorite apps because of the easy syncing over all devices, the lack of the search function was a real nuisance. your workaround helped: within a minute everything was working again! Silly glitch, I had not expected Apple to leave this kind of problems in its software. But the problem seems to be solved. Thanks again!

Notes search function not working iOS device...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.