Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

garageband doesn't upload to dropbox nor Google Drive

Hi everyone, I have a serious problem.

I would like to use my Garageband app on my ipad to export to and upload a project file to Dropbox or Google Drive, because those are the two applications I use the most to store my files, music and photo's, but when I try to upload, all I get is this load bar that gets stuck and never moves.

It just doesn't upload my files to my Dropbox or Google Drive. What am I doing wrong here?

I set everything up correctly and still it won't work. Can someone please tell me what to do, I just want to upload a simple project to one of my online storages.

Is it at all possible to do this? I guess it should be because otherwise, there wouldn't be an option to add Dropbox or Google drive to your Garageband Export preferences. But why doesn't it work?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Thierry Driessen.

iPad mini (Retina) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jan 4, 2016 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2017 7:55 AM

Put the .band folder into a .zip file:

In Finder, right-click on your .band file and choose "Compress mytestfile.band". This will create a .zip file in the same location named "mytestfile.band.zip". Dropbox and Google Drive will accept this because it is a zip file, so upload however you usually do. When you need to retrieve it from Dropbox or Google Drive, simply download it, then double-click the .zip file to unzip it and you have your .band file again.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2017 7:55 AM in response to Thierry Driessen

Put the .band folder into a .zip file:

In Finder, right-click on your .band file and choose "Compress mytestfile.band". This will create a .zip file in the same location named "mytestfile.band.zip". Dropbox and Google Drive will accept this because it is a zip file, so upload however you usually do. When you need to retrieve it from Dropbox or Google Drive, simply download it, then double-click the .zip file to unzip it and you have your .band file again.

Sep 21, 2017 6:44 PM in response to Thierry Driessen

I have 2 workarounds to this:

1. Airdrop. You can airdrop the .band file straight into a Mac (probably another ios device too, haven't tried that though). From your ios device: My Songs > Select > [Select Song] > [^] share button > AirDrop.

2. iCloud -> Dropbox. Export the .band file to iCloud (From your ios device: My Songs > Select > [Select Song] > [cloud icon] ), then logon to iCloud in a desktop or android device (iCloud - Sign in), find the .band files, then download them into your Dropbox or Google Drive from there.

#2 is horrible and clunky, sorry about that.

Jan 30, 2016 5:30 AM in response to Thierry Driessen

I'm having the same problem with Dropbox. I'm able to browse my Dropbox folders from within Garageband and select an export location, but then a popup saying "Uploading..." (with a Cancel button) appears and hangs until the device falls asleep. When unlocking my phone I'm back at the song selection screen and nothing was uploaded to Dropbox.

Pretty frustrating since Dropbox import/export has been my #1 feature request for a very long time.

Using an iPhone 6s with iOS 9.2.1 and GarageBand 2.1.

Feb 1, 2016 8:59 AM in response to Thierry Driessen

Hi everyone, I found a workaround that worked for me in Google Drive and Dropbox.

So in Garageband go to your songs, press and hold on one of your songs, then press the share button, don't choose Dropbox or Google Drive because this will not work, instead choose open in, choose the quality, then a new window will open and there you can also choose Dropbox or Google Drive or whatever, select your cloudstorage of preference and hey presto it will actually upload! 😀

Feb 1, 2016 10:54 AM in response to Thierry Driessen

Unfortunately that isn't a workaround: The intent of using the share feature with Dropbox/GDrive from the top level menus is to share the .band file in order to open the GarageBand project on another device (yours or a friend's). Using "Open In" only lets you export a mixdown. Useful, but not the same.

Thanks for the tip anyway, that will probably prove useful in the meantime.

Feb 2, 2016 12:52 AM in response to ironcladlou

No problem, I hope someone at Apple will notice and finally address this problem.

I have been having trouble with this since the beginning, (when I first got my IPad 1,5 years ago.)

It was not working then, I hoped it would be fixed in an update but three updates passed and still not luck.

We'll see what happens, Like I said, I hope they will finally fix it.

May 1, 2016 4:29 PM in response to Thierry Driessen

This is a pretty universal problem. File management continues to be iPad's weakest feature, as you cannot (for instance) readily open a Dropbox audio file into GarageBand.

History suggests that Apple will not be fixing this any time soon: I suspect that they still think they can win the war to have iCloud be your one-stop file management shop, where their apps natively manage your files. (iCloud actually works well with iOS GarageBand, but I have major reservations about using it.)

If anybody from Apple is reading this (just kidding) and thinking, "See? iCloud plays well with your apps better!" I would just rejoin, Dropbox plays even better with everything else.

garageband doesn't upload to dropbox nor Google Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.