Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create sub-album in an album in Photos?

Hi!
I just bought a MacBook Pro and I was trying to organize my pictures. Now I'm wondering if it is possible to create a sub-album in an album in Photos?

I can't see a way to do it. I have looked where I can create a new album or smart-album. I have tried to create more albums and then drag them into one, but that doesn't work. Does anyone know how to do it or if its even possible to do?

- Randa07

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), null

Posted on Jan 4, 2016 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2016 2:11 PM

To organize your albums use folders. You cannot have sub albums in albums, but folders inside folders. You can create nested folders; for example you can have a folder "Birthdays", and inside folders "Birthdays 2015", "Birthdays 2014", and inside each folder albums for each birthday in the year.

Nested folders are very convenient in the sidebar, because you can collapse them using the disclosure triangles: for example, my sidebar is showing the following folders with albums inside:

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2016 2:11 PM in response to Randa07

To organize your albums use folders. You cannot have sub albums in albums, but folders inside folders. You can create nested folders; for example you can have a folder "Birthdays", and inside folders "Birthdays 2015", "Birthdays 2014", and inside each folder albums for each birthday in the year.

Nested folders are very convenient in the sidebar, because you can collapse them using the disclosure triangles: for example, my sidebar is showing the following folders with albums inside:

User uploaded file

Jan 4, 2016 2:06 PM in response to léonie

Thanks a lot.
But then my next problem is that I can only see my pictures in the app "Photos". When I open "Finder" and select the folder Photos is photo-library or photo-booth library my only options. When I click on either of them the App opens and I see all my pictures, and I can't organize them in folders only albums.

- Randa07

Jan 4, 2016 2:34 PM in response to Randa07

If you need to access your photos in other applications use the media browser.

In most applications the "File > Open " dialogue will show the Media Browser.

In the Finder window that pops up to select photos for uploading scroll down until you are seeing the Media section in the sidebar. Click the camera icon to open the Photos view and select the Photos Library. It will let you access the folders and albums in the library.

User uploaded file

Create sub-album in an album in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.