Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4s wifi greyed out

Hello

Can any one help me ? my wifi is greyed out, I am using iphone 4s with ios 9.2.

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 4, 2016 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 5:05 PM

I have just confirmed that this is 100% a hardware problem through my own similar problems, research and final fix.

There is no possibility that it is an OS problem, it is a hardware problem that is caused by a lack of attention to detail during the manufacturing process.

The problem actually lies in the poor quality of solder that was used during the manufacturing process of the iphone 4/4S.
The solder connecting the WI-FI chip to the circuit board deteriorates over time.
The only fix is to re-heat the solder so that it regains it's conductivity (for a time).
This is why the "Heat with a hair dryer / place in a freezer" fix actually works.
I was loath to do this as it sounds like a crazy thing to do, but I tried it as a last resort and hey presto!......it worked.

BUT.....of course over time the solder will deteriorate again and I will have to do the same again.
Apple's quality control missed this vital element of solder quality and thousands, if not millions of us are paying the price, especially because the problem manifests after the guarantee has run out.
Apple is of course staying very quiet about this.

This problem will also have long term environmental impact, as a lot of users will just give up, throw the old phone out and buy another.
Maybe a class action against Apple in relation to this problem is in order?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 5:05 PM in response to Jesus1ove5us

I have just confirmed that this is 100% a hardware problem through my own similar problems, research and final fix.

There is no possibility that it is an OS problem, it is a hardware problem that is caused by a lack of attention to detail during the manufacturing process.

The problem actually lies in the poor quality of solder that was used during the manufacturing process of the iphone 4/4S.
The solder connecting the WI-FI chip to the circuit board deteriorates over time.
The only fix is to re-heat the solder so that it regains it's conductivity (for a time).
This is why the "Heat with a hair dryer / place in a freezer" fix actually works.
I was loath to do this as it sounds like a crazy thing to do, but I tried it as a last resort and hey presto!......it worked.

BUT.....of course over time the solder will deteriorate again and I will have to do the same again.
Apple's quality control missed this vital element of solder quality and thousands, if not millions of us are paying the price, especially because the problem manifests after the guarantee has run out.
Apple is of course staying very quiet about this.

This problem will also have long term environmental impact, as a lot of users will just give up, throw the old phone out and buy another.
Maybe a class action against Apple in relation to this problem is in order?

Jan 4, 2016 11:05 PM in response to Arsalan_Sidd

Reset network settings.

If Wi-Fi is grayed out or dim on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on this device.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

If this does not help, restore your device to factory settings. Note that this will erase the data from your device.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

Jan 25, 2016 10:50 PM in response to Arsalan_Sidd

I have an iphone 4s with the wifi greyed out too, I did the steps like you did but still to no avail. I did some google searches and found out that this is a Wifi chip problem. Believe it or not but this solution worked for me!

1. Get a hair blower/dryer

2. Heat up the top portion of the iPhone where the headphone jack is located (this is the area where the wifi chip is positioned inside the phone).

3. You need to wait until the warning appears on the screen "Temperature : I phone needs to cool down before you can use it."

4. Immediately turn off the phone (WARNING: It's **** hot!)

5. Wait for at 15 minutes to let it cool down. (I've read that others place it inside a ziploc bag and place it in the freezer for 15 minutes)

6. Power on again - check Wifi and voila! You have the signal back!

It's been almost 2 months now and the wifi has never greyed out again.

If you are more adventurous, you can do this troubleshooting steps from iFixit

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+iPhone+4S+Wi-Fi+Grayed+Out/22167

Good Luck! 😎

May 2, 2016 2:07 PM in response to Arsalan_Sidd

Hello,

I too had the same happen a couple of days ago...was concerned phone was being hijacked!

I tried the reset with power and home buttons-nope.

I tried the "reset network settings"-nope.

I tried the "reset all settings"-nope.

I tried the reset to factory settings-almost, but nope.

After speaking with Apple support, I was told to "reset network settings" (again/the first step I took originally)-yup!

So you may need to do all of the above as well.

4s v9.3.1

Purging means progress =0)

Iphone 4s wifi greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.