Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for Legacy installation media images for System 9.1, System 7.5.3, etc.

I'm trying to revive a bunch of old macs and show off the hardware of a bygone era, but am having trouble finding operating system installation media to make the machines be the best that they can be. My current project is a Performa 6116CD which I hear can run system 9.1 but I'm having trouble finding a disk image to install this system. Where can I get this legacy software? Is there an area I can download the images and burn a CD myself, or do I have to order the media from somewhere for an exorbitant price? Also trying to get a hold of System 7.5.3 installation floppy disk images for Macintosh SE.

Thanks,

Zach

Performa 6116CD-OTHER, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Jan 5, 2016 3:57 AM

5 replies

Jan 6, 2016 3:25 AM in response to zcoffin

Nope. The exception is replacement installation disks:

If you are in the US call Apple Customer Support 1-800-767-2775, provide the Serial Number and specifications of the Mac, and for a reasonable fee, they will supply a replacement set of system discs (if available).

The discs will be for the original version of the OS that was pre-installed when the Mac was manufactured.

If you are in another country:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Jan 27, 2016 12:28 PM in response to a brody

"Remember Macs will not work operating systems older than shipped with them." I do wish people would stop this statement.

It should be if the Mac was manufactured under a specified OS X then later Apple started to ship with a newer OS X then that Mac if bought with the newer OS X will run the OS X is was born on.

Looking for Legacy installation media images for System 9.1, System 7.5.3, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.