Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I delete multiple backups from my Time Machine Drive

My time machine drive has reached the point where it needs to delete an old back up before it will complete a new back up. Is there a way to delete several backups (e.g.. all of 2014's and 25% of 2015's back ups) from the Time Machine drive at one time? I know how to delete one back up but would like to delete several all at once.

In deleting old back ups, do I delete the very first one made or does that have the basic material upon which all TM backups are built?

Macbook Pro 2011

El Capitan

16 G ram

1 TB SSD drive.

Time Machine drive is 2 TB.

thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2016 9:50 AM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2016 12:34 PM in response to pariseau

I ran into the exact same issue earlier this year. The best answer I found was here: thegreyblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/shrink-your-time-machine-backups-and.html In summary, Time Machine always creates a full backup, not an incremental backup. So, no you won't cause any harm by deleting the first one. I've done so with no adverse consequences. Second, use the tmutil command to remove old backups. sudo tumtil gives you the full list. I wrote a bash script from the command line, as the author suggests. I deleted everything I had from last year, starting with the first backup that was made in October, with:

$ sudo tmutil listbackups

Password:

/Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Backups.backupdb/mkauffmanmbp/2016-01-01-003303

/Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Backups.backupdb/mkauffmanmbp/2016-01-02-005714

There were a lot more lines, what we're after here is the location to use in the next line. In my case it's /Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Backups.backupdb/mkauffmanmbp/ You will need to do the same, and use the \ before any spaces in the path as shown below. Below I used 2015-1* because mine started in October of 2015. So I had 2015-10, 11, and 12. If you want to get rid of all of 2015 you can use 2015-*. If you wanted to get rid of everything before October you could use 2015-0* which would remove 01,02,03,...09 of 2015.

$ sudo tmutil disable local

(The following is all one line.)

$ for i in /Volumes/Seagate\ Backup\ Plus\ Drive/Backups.backupdb/mkauffmanmbp/2015-1* ; do tmutil delete "$i" ; done

$ sudo tmutil enable local

Hope this helps!

Happy New Year!

Jan 18, 2016 12:42 PM in response to mark.b.k

A few updates.

0. I did this because I wanted some extra space on the Time Machine drive to keep my Dropbox. Time machine will delete its backups automatically, but only after your drive gets near being full. Do this if you would like to have more control over the drive space.

1. Use sudo before the tmutil on the for line as in:

$ for i in /Volumes/Seagate\ Backup\ Plus\ Drive/Backups.backupdb/mkauffmanmbp/2016-01-0* ; do sudo tmutil delete "$i" ; done

2. The GUI will not let you delete multiple backups, only one at a time. The only way to delete more than one at a time is to use the terminal and run a small script from the command line.

how can I delete multiple backups from my Time Machine Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.