Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

arp collision on Cisco ASA from Airport Extreme and AppleTV

My Cisco ASA-5515-x is reporting ARP collisions between my Airport Extreme and my AppleTVs

(cisco log) ARP request collision from 192.168.1.167/3412.9800.935d on interface Inside with existing ARP entry 192.168.1.167/18b4.3033.d197

(cisco log) ARP request collision from 192.168.1.100/3412.9800.935d on interface Inside with existing ARP entry 192.168.1.100/7073.cbe2.87db

(cisco log) ARP request collision from 192.168.1.113/3412.9800.935d on interface Inside with existing ARP entry 192.168.1.113/98d6.bb22.20aa

My DHCP server shows 192.168.1.167 associated with 18b4.3033.d197, .100 with 7073.cbe2.87db, and .113 with 98d6.bb22.20aa

My Airport IP is static using 192.168.1.37.

Its configured in Bridge Mode. It has a hard 1Gig cable to a Cisco 3750 switch. (I actually have 2 Airports in Bridge Mode connected this way. The other is .36 and uses a different SSID but exists on the same 3750 VLAN).

These are happening every 15 seconds or so.

Why would my Airport Extreme be spoofing MAC addresses from my AppleTVs?

Apple TV

Posted on Jan 5, 2016 12:22 PM

12 replies

Jan 5, 2016 1:45 PM in response to MickeyPhelps

From what I can gather from your networking description, you have employed a Cisco ASA firewall as your "main" router and have a Cisco switch directly connected to it ... and from there you have a DHCP server, two AirPort Extreme base stations, and pair of Apple TVs connected to that switch. Correct?

If so, I would suggest that you temporarily disconnect the base stations and the Apple TVs and only have the DHCP server connected to the switch. Do the ARP request collisions still occur in this configuration? If so, is the DHCP server dual-homed? If not, add one of the base stations. Does the collisions start back up?

Jan 5, 2016 2:16 PM in response to Tesserax

Its very similar to what you've described, but I'll clarify a couple minor points. I have 3 AppleTVs. I actually have 2 DHCP servers that are each single homed. The primary (range 192.168.1.100-175) is 2012R2. The secondary (range .176-225) is 2008R2. Confirmed that neither are duplicating DHCP leases. They're VMs running on a single ESXi host that have 2 interfaces to the same network, one is active data and the other is SPAN'd on the 3750 to the ASA uplink. Disconnected the SPAN from the VM (not either DHCP server) running SNORT with no affect on the ARP issue. They're on 2 separate vSwitches so no danger of looping across ESXi interfaces.

Unplugged both Airports (only one of them allows the AppleTVs to connect). ARP errors stopped. Plugged only the airport with the offending MAC back in the network, errors resumed for all 3 AppleTVs. I *could* power down the AppleTVs but I fail to see the reasoning.

Regardless of whether or not the AppleTVs are sourcing traffic, why would the Airport spoof/proxy the MAC address on a bridged network?

Jan 5, 2016 4:26 PM in response to MickeyPhelps

I dug around a bit..

I wonder if it has something to do with bonjour..

See http://notthenetwork.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/bonjour-and-dynamic-arp-inspectiond ai.html

If you remove the Apple TV and use something else as clients.. something that doesn't have a bonjour sleep proxy in it.. does the arp issue still show up??

Sorry I am not at your level network wise.. but I can give you a very extensive look at the inside of the AE firmware and its settings. If that would be of help email me.. My email is open in the profile.

Jan 5, 2016 4:34 PM in response to MickeyPhelps

Thanks for the additional information. I'm wondering if the issue is not the AirPort base stations but the Apple TVs instead.

When running an Apple TV will provide, as a minimum, two services: Rendezvous (aka Bonjour) on 3689 & iPhone-Sync on 62078. In addition, if you enable AirPlay on the Apple TV, three more services will be enabled: UPnP (5000), AFS3-Server (7000), & Font-Service (7001).

What I'm not sure about is how any of these services would cause an ARP request from your ASA device to conflict. The base station in bridge mode, as you know, should just pass through these requests and not modify them.

Typically I would find these types of errors on networks with dual-homed servers or when down-stream routers are not configured properly to pass the ARP requests. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful here.

Jan 5, 2016 4:56 PM in response to LaPastenague

OK - this is interesting. Read the article and, while it doesn't appear to be the problem as such, I did a wireshark capture and saw that the problem was with the AP doing a gratuitous ARP. Really weird stuff. Why would an access point grat ARP an AppleTV? This guy's actual IP is .37

Frame 13: 60 bytes on wire (480 bits), 60 bytes captured (480 bits) on interface 0

Ethernet II, Src: Apple_00:93:5d (34:12:98:00:93:5d), Dst: Broadcast (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)

Address Resolution Protocol (request/gratuitous ARP)

Hardware type: Ethernet (1)

Protocol type: IPv4 (0x0800)

Hardware size: 6

Protocol size: 4

Opcode: request (1)

[Is gratuitous: True]

Sender MAC address: Apple_00:93:5d (34:12:98:00:93:5d)

Sender IP address: 192.168.1.122

Target MAC address: 00:00:00_00:00:00 (00:00:00:00:00:00)

Target IP address: 192.168.1.122

Jan 6, 2016 11:17 AM in response to MickeyPhelps

I contacted Apple support and they say my network is "too complex" to be covered under their consumer support. They also don't support (as consumer support) "Bridge Mode". They wanted to refer me to their enterprise support, but its pay to play. I don't wish to pay them to fix their own bug. I'll just file a developer bug report and be done with it.

Jan 6, 2016 11:56 AM in response to MickeyPhelps

They also don't support (as consumer support) "Bridge Mode".

I do think your network is a bit complex for domestic setup.. and Apple routers are now domestic units..

But to totally abrogate even being interested in bridge mode.. that is well slightly surprising.

Apple have been recommending people to use double NAT in situations where they either cannot use the airport as the main router or it simply doesn't function properly... as in my case PPPOE simply failed with my bridged modem.. any other router works fine.

But I use the apple router with DHCP not DHCP and NAT.. and found that works better.

See Re: airport time capsule keeps disconnecting

There are a number of issues with DNS as well.. which this seems to help.

Jan 10, 2016 1:49 PM in response to LaPastenague

I have a Cisco ASA 5505 and four Airports. My configuration is practically identical to Mickey's. I'm seeing the same ARP collisions in my logs. I'm convinced it's crappy Airport software / firmware. Settting the Airports to static IPs does NOT set the wireless card in the Airports to static and the Airport wireless cards are the MAC IDs that seem to be the culprits. I use the airports as a mesh network at home (which is a nice feature) and for Airplay, because I have several of them strategically placed next to speakers. I have several VoIP phones at home that keep getting kicked off the network because of IP collisions with the Airports.

Interestingly enough, setting the Airport to "join a wireless network" (in other words, to NOT share the wireless connection), doesn't change things.

For whatever reason, the Airports insist on requesting their old DHCP address FIRST, instead of checking with the DHCP server for availability. So, they just assume the address is still there for the taking. It really seems to me that the Airports just poop the bed if one of them isn't the DHCP server.

My frustration with this is that if Apple doesn't want you using another device as the DHCP server. They shouldn't put that feature in the software. It's broken for all intents and purpose.

arp collision on Cisco ASA from Airport Extreme and AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.